Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BSRC

Thread: Overcharging

  1. #1
    Masatoshi
    Guest

    Overcharging

    I'm kind of new to RC and have a question. If I had a 7.2V 700mAh battery that's suppose to be charged for 4 hours charged for 7 would it like...explode of burst into flames? I charged it for 5 hours, my car got somewhat "faster" but the battery was really warm when I had taken it off the charger and was kind of worried that it'd explode if I charged it too long.

  2. #2
    RCN Moderator dizzyinzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    421
    is this a lipo or just a regular nimh or nicd
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyinzo?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/u5ZEPGsD7wM]Check out my YouTube Channel : ill sub back if you sub me... CLICK ME [/url]

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    424
    You should be fine if you don't run it right after you get it off of the charger. Let it cool off, then drive. Dizzyinzo, it has to be a NIMH since it's 7.2v = 6 cell.
    2nd Place is the 1st Loser

    E Revo Mamba Monster 2200kv
    Slash 2WD Stock with Homemade Swaybars

    Youtube Account:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChris1696?feature=mhum[/url]

  4. #4
    RCN Moderator dizzyinzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    421
    the only way they will catch fire is if you short them out...
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyinzo?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/u5ZEPGsD7wM]Check out my YouTube Channel : ill sub back if you sub me... CLICK ME [/url]

  5. #5
    RCN Staffer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    190
    Masatoshi,

    It sounds like you have a "dumb" charger that doesn't automatically shut off after the battery is full. This could be a NICD or NIMH based on what you've told us. The battery should have a recycling label on it that would confirm which chemistry it is.

    Either way, do not charge past the 4 hour mark if that's what the battery and charger are rated for. You can get more power but you are damaging the battery and eventually it will fail.

    There is also a risk of a fire from over heating. NIMH and NICD's will pop like grenades when overcharged!
    erevofreak96 likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    198
    i dont think its possible to have a nihm to explode... but lipos, theill explode if you dont charge them properley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •