Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped ipo wires, melted tamiya connector...need safe advice...

Ripped ipo wires, melted tamiya connector...need safe advice...

hello, everyone i have an Orion rocket lipo 7.4v 4000mah 25c. Unfortunatly it has the dreaded tamiya standard plug unlike my other lipos that have deans, My original intention was to solder a deans ultra connector onto it. well, before i got around to that i used it with a deans to tamiya adapter, crashed, melted the battery to the adapter, and ripped the wires as you can see below

I know i'm a tart for not just clipping the standard off right at the base of the connector and instead accidently peeling the wire. All that being said the battery is not puffed or damaged to my knowledge even though it reads 3.96 and 3.90.

Question is. What do i do to salvage this battery. should i cut the wires further down and solder a deans connector that shrink it? Probably an easy fix i just want to do it correctly and SAFELY. thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by BongMan420; 10-15-2011 at 01:36 AM.

how did the wires get ripped?

Kind of embarrasing my good man. Well i was trying to pull the melted end off with two pliars (never again) and stripped the crap out of everything. Saw a tiny spark and wire was stuck to needle nose.

THAT SCARED ME. Through it in a lipo bag and came back next day. No puffing no cell damage when i looked inside.the hard case.

Now that ive further embarassed myself with lipos and bad cell phone spelling, what would you do ( besides never taking pliars to battery wires).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Ok, first things first, get a fire extinguisher, a large metal frying pan, and some good heavy duty tongs or a large pair of pliers and keep all of that handy just in case you fubar the next part. carefully cut one wire and butt solder an extension to it. Then do the same with the other wire. be sure to not let the wires touch. Now solder a deans plug onto the extensions. Use proper soldering practices while doing this. If the battery starts smoking at any point during this, use the tongs/pliers to move it to the frying pan and get it out of your house asap. Good luck...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. That is what i will be doing

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

how did the end product come and is the battery still good

not yet

Havent done anything yet. Sitting on my desk staring back at me ominously. Honestly, im fricken nervous and my bro-in-law is the only one who has solderung stuff and i have never soldered anything. This does not seem to me to be the corrext time to learn, especialy on an item that could potentialy explode. The whole damn thing makes me nervous and i dont even want the battery in my house anymore. Some solder practice first perhaps

clip the wires one by one and make sure they donot touch and cover the exposed wires with either eletrical tape or shrink tubing and get your borther in law to do the soldering for you or your local hobby shop but they will charge

If you are nervous try practicing on scrap pieces of wire or just pay the hobby shop to do it for you.

Ok ive covered the ends so everythings cool. I ended up needing to replace my reciever antenna anyway and that was a great opportunity for my brother too teach me some soldering basics. I actualy am not as bad as i thought i would be at it. At this point i feel after watching a few youtube videos i shoukd be good to go on soldering the battery lead. ThNks again for everyones help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast