Thread: Non-technical Gens Ace review/ thread.

Non-technical Gens Ace review/ thread.

Unboxing…

The packing of the battery was perfect. No flaws. First battery came with a 4mm Banana connector and separate 4mm bullet connectors as the one I bought first was the race pack with removal plugs cause they didn’t offer a direct version yet. The lipo came on top of a firm piece of foam and a warning label was onto of the battery, assuring that the user would see the paper before use. The paper was a caution statement telling you what to do and what not to do. All this came in a cardboard box that left no room for play for the battery to move on shipment. The box came in a seal plastic bag to prevent water damage. What I was glad to see wasn’t some fancy packing that costs 5$ and isn’t protective. I see some other lipos coming in a cheap thin cardboard and thin clear plastic and allow the lipo to bounce and move around in the packing.

Performance…

Not being technical here, just a consumer review. This pack has punch and can hold it. 200amps constant at 400amps burst for 10 seconds. While running I felt there was a steady current and not some sudden kick or jolt in power. I got the same punch through-out the whole pack until the last minute when the battery would seem to die out.
    When the battery dies its very noticeable. Sometimes when you run a different pack they would slowly decrease power over the run and over long term use. The Gens Ace pack ran hard and steady then once it hit 3.2v the Esc would stop it to a crawl. My first pack I bought was about 9 months ago. And it still lives till today feeling like it was when I first used it. But the case didn’t stay the same.
    On hot summer days the pack would just get warm to the touch. In fall or spring the pack wouldn’t even change from off the charger or off the car. I live in the WI weather. I drove in 0 degree weather and still haven’t noticed any difference in performance.

Durability…

The only few factors I could think of for durability was how the casing held up.
    The casing is ok. Remembering this is a moderately priced pack the case wasn’t the best. It was somewhat brittle. I even had wear from just a battery strap to hold it down. Then setting it on a hard surface can also damage it. Sometimes rocks will get into my car and the battery would have little tiny dents on it. This can be fixed with some tape; if you’re new to lipo you’re going to want to use clear tape to make sure you know the specs on your battery and the warning labels on the underside. Once the tape was on the wearing stopped.

What did you get…

What comes in the package is the battery itself. I bought the 2s1p 5000mah 40c lipo with removable plugs. You don’t get plugs too often when you buy a battery that has 4mm connectors; they often leave that part to you. Again the first one I ordered came with a 4mm Banana plug and the second one came with a dean’s plug. The deans came soldered up neat and clean with even wires on both ends. The wire is durable and somewhat stiff. They were only stiff because they were 10 gauge wires. Most 10th electric rc cars use a smaller 12 gauge wire.
    Now they no longer sell that version. They have a direct version which is better because there have been reports about a weak soldering joint in the bullets. More connectors mean more resistance. So having a direct pack will have less resistance and prevent a bullet from coming loose.

Summary...

To sum it all up, the Gens Ace 2s lipo comes with everything you need and more to get running once charged. The direct version will now come with a 4mm Banana plug so if you run anything more you’ll have to change that or buy an adapter. The punch is great as well as the steady current it holds. Although the case isn’t the best; it can have pieces chip off. This can be solved by taping areas that are worn. Not much I can say bad about this battery. The overall price is 33$ and has free shipping if you order over 50$.

MRC rating 9/10

The casing is brittle -1 but that can be fixed very easily +.5

Then there are some reports of the soldering melting/ crack inside the case and this can be fixed but can cause fire if you’re not EXTREMELY careful. But since this didn’t happen to me I’ll only take .5

Found on hobbypartz.com
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html

Make sure to “like” them on Facebook to enter their free drawings in which you can win one of these batteries.

These Gens Ace batteries are the best bang for your buck for the average RCer, PERIOD!

I have a couple and I love them. I would not hesitate to buy more. I have the bullet version as well rather than the hard wired version.

The issues with the internal wiring was supposed to be fixed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Could be. hmm... I couldnt tell. Didnt happen to me. I have the Hard Wired version in the mail.