Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: souds like gears stripping, tell me what you think.

souds like gears stripping, tell me what you think.

So my rustler vxl started making a new sound on take off sounds like gears slipping or stripping. I recently put on some wider offroad tires on the rear. I have pulled off the spur gear cover and the spur and pinion look fine. I'm thinking I should tighten the slipper clutch adjustment but before I do I wanted some opinions. I'm running 8.4 nimh batteries, and since I added the new tires it finally pulls wheelies (wich I love) but the added tourqe seems to be causing this new problem.

if you are using the stock traxxas pinion, change it out, preferably to a robinson racing pinion cause the metal they use is harder. IMO the traxxas metal is too soft so the pinions sharpen really quickly, especially on brushless power. When the pinion sharpens it starts shredding the spur gear, i went through 5 spurs on my slash before i finally figured it out. also the fact that your tires are gripping better now will make the pinion sharpen much faster.
    I reject your reality, and blow it up with C4.

My Garage:
    Losi 8ight 2.0 E
    Losi XXX-SCT
    Associated B4.1 Worlds edition

yea I have to agree there, a better pinion will help more of that power transfer as well...well worth the few bucks.

a slipping slipper does kinda sound like a stripped gear and if you add more power you have to adjust your slipper accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by motakitty View Post
    a slipping slipper does kinda sound like a stripped gear and if you add more power you have to adjust your slipper accordingly
    tighten it down right?

tighten it all the way, then back it off 1/2 turn. start there.

Quote Originally Posted by godofcable View Post
    tighten it all the way, then back it off 1/2 turn. start there.
    Thanks I had no idea were to start or how sensitive it was , I turned it about 1/4 turn and tried it and it still did it, so tonight when I get off of work I will try it your way. How will I know if its too tight?

on a high grip surface, like carpet, you should hear it slip for about two feet. anything more its too loose, anything less its too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonwal View Post
    if you are using the stock traxxas pinion, change it out, preferably to a robinson racing pinion cause the metal they use is harder. IMO the traxxas metal is too soft so the pinions sharpen really quickly, especially on brushless power. When the pinion sharpens it starts shredding the spur gear, i went through 5 spurs on my slash before i finally figured it out. also the fact that your tires are gripping better now will make the pinion sharpen much faster.
    I will look up the Robinson Racing pinion sound like good advice .

also the spur might be warped. because on my slash 2wd the spurs do warp and they make a nasty grinding sound once they do
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyinzo?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/u5ZEPGsD7wM]Check out my YouTube Channel : ill sub back if you sub me... CLICK ME [/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast