Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suburban_hooligan

Thread: lock the doors, im back!

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar

lock the doors, im back!

ok, after a short hiatus do to lack of funds and broken/worn out, out dated parts and equipment and the need to put my resources into other things (mainly my 1:1 car) i managed to save up enough to get myself going again. i made the 20 mile trek out to Ultimate Hobbies in Orange California this morning to pick up a few necessities.
    [URL=http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/suburban_hooligan/media/P5050522_zpsed73d3c8.jpg.html][/URL]
    im back to being able to charge my batteries the way they are mint to be charged and run my truck with a radio that isn't 10+ years old and at times a little glitchy. im stoked!

not sure what i should do next, upgrade to a lipo battery or finally buy a brushless system. anybody have an opinion? how well do brushless systems work with NiMH battery packs? or should i just buy a new truck and go brushless and lipo with it (been eyeing the hpi savage xs ss kit sense it came out. im looking to change things up and iv never owned an MT)
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Welcome back dude. My buddy has a MT4-G3 and it rocks! They also have a new ST4-G3 that looks sweet. I believe they both come with 2000kv brushless motors. 1/8 scale. Defiantly would need a lipo.

Sent from Oser world

those MT4-M3's do look bad ass. but i don't really have the budget or the space for 1/8 scale. i could probably get away with a race buggy or truggy (if i could afford it) because of the awesome handling, but the typical 1/8 scale basher won't really work for me.
    i also don't do RTR's.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

I understand. You know as much upgrading and changes I make to my rtrs, it's about time I start building kits. I would love to build a kit. Just being able to try different parts till you get it right. Oh hooligan you just inspired me man. Thanks

Sent from Oser world

having to throw money at an RTR to hop it up cause it's not equipped well enough out of the box is only part of why i don't do RTR's.
    the main reason i started RC was because i got to build the cars. that was the coolest thing to me. somehow that made it not a toy, it was serious business. when i bought my first hobby grade RC i was 14, i didn't have the money and resources to build and operate a full scale race car. so i did it in 1/10 scale. from the time i was introduced to hobby grade RC up until i was in my late teens there was no way to convince me there was a difference between my RC's and there full size counterparts. i was forever rebuilding, tuning and trying different things, trying to go faster, jump higher and further, handle better. cars probably spent more time in peaces on the workbench than anything. just like the real thing.

the more workbench they take away from it, the more it just feels like a toy. like some over priced play thing. like its not a hobby anymore. like it's a video game. no effort, no involvement. just something to play with every now and then.
    people complain about having to paint body's, glue tires, build diff's, build shocks. i love that stuff. it's something to sit there and tinker with, modify and adjust. can i make mine work better than yours? i live for that
    rcman likes this.

i agree hooligan, i like tinkering and fixing and moddifing my cars even more than driving them. For every hour of driving my cars, i bet i have at least 2-3 hours of fixing and rebuilding. I got my first rc car when i was 12, and i did it because my friend was gonna get one and i wanted to do it too. And boy am i glad i did. I didnt know anything about it, i got home, threw the battery in it and drove it, i though that it was the coolest thing in the world, i mean that i could pull the trigger away from the car and the car would move, it was my dream. i had about 9-10 walmart rc cars and i either drove it till it broke, or i broke it because i took it apart and couldnt put it back together. anyway, i love tinkering with the cars, its the main reason why i still have them.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

I agree with everything you say man. I just went about the hobby the wrong way. I really didn't know any better. I do like wrenching more that driving. Looks like I bought my last rtr. Please keep us posted on your upcoming build. Peace

Sent from Oser world

swung by Hobby People today on my way home from work today. picked up some servo tape. came home and installed the receiver and a fluorescent pink antenna tube i had laying around.