Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I wana flip!

Question I wana flip!

hello ive recently been wanting to get my Traxxas Rustler VXL up in the sky. As it already is great for jumping id really like to get flipping or atlleast some more hang time. now i have never purchased a LiPo, i dont know anything about them. So im not sure if purchasing a LiPo would open me to abilities other than high speeds and wheelies. Now i have watched others flipping or attleast attempting to flip their rustlers on youtube and it seems to be more of a deadweight when it comes to tricking. Sooooo is it a dead weight? I do plan on a new rc car purchase within the next 6 months so should i complete my rustler and get something better for tricking? if so, what trucks are good? i dont want a buggy something between an e-maxx and a E-revo.

Thanks
    sorry if this is to many questions, i really am stumped
    Last edited by SketchyRC; 06-01-2011 at 04:46 AM.

I have seen the E-revo do flips and such and the E-Maxx should (haven't seen it in person. I know my Savage will w/ ease. It also does cartwheels and flips end to end, lol. I have seen the Savy Flux do flips w/ ease also.

What kinda jump/ramp do you have. Even w/o the Lipo, w/ the right pre-load on your shocks, you should be able to get enough lift. Unless the kit is just to heavy. I don't know much 'bout the Rustlers
    Jay

[url="http://www.youtube.com/rcnightmare#p/a/u/0/DxSeXbkRtLU"]YouTube - RC Nightmare[/url] << Click & Subscribe !!

[url="http://www.rcnightmare.com/"]RC Nightmare Blog Homepage[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/rcflightschool#p/u/0/22ZYAJoNXRg]RC Flight School-RC Plane Vids[/url] << Click & Subscribe !!

i have a 2 main launch jumps. one huge one around 4 and a halfish feet in hight xD also one of those black plastic ramps about 1 foot high, you used to be able to get them any where. But sadly both of them seem to chuck cars out and away vs up for ultimate hangtime. anyway ramps arent my problem i can always build more or modify my other 2. but i definetly will look into the savage. i honestly earlier was so desperate to flip i was considering a 1/16 e-revo but i really dont want a small scale rc like that.

even if you get a revo or a maxx your going to need the power of some lipos to really get that cool fast back flip. i have a e revo i have done a double back flip with it (it was awesome) but i am sure the emaxx will roll in the air just as easy... the thing is your going to need brushless and lipo to be able to really reach those kick ass backflips you see all over youtube. but as sketchyRC said the mini e revo is a flipping monster i did a doulbe back flip with 5ft of air. but the rear diff last maybe 2weeks and then you have to change it out.... i know you said you dont want a buggy but they articulate very well in the air they are not made for back flips but i know that it will do them with ease
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyinzo?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/u5ZEPGsD7wM]Check out my YouTube Channel : ill sub back if you sub me... CLICK ME [/url]

thanks dizzzyinzo i will reconsider a buggy. i dont have a Lipo for my rustler but i did upgrade to brushless. So i will give the battery a shot i just am pretty sure im going to have to add another car to my collection if i really want to start some epic bashing. im on the hobbytown website right now and it appears buggys are acctually a cheap investment compared to the trucks ive been looking at! Woah maybe not.... i just saw the price of the hpi vorza flux
    Last edited by SketchyRC; 06-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.

I see what you are saying, Dizzy. wheel speed does have a lot to do w/ it while in the air.

If you arn't really into buggies (me either) then you might want to think 'bout a truggy, Looks like a truck but handle close to a buggie in the air and on the ground.
    Jay

[url="http://www.youtube.com/rcnightmare#p/a/u/0/DxSeXbkRtLU"]YouTube - RC Nightmare[/url] << Click & Subscribe !!

[url="http://www.rcnightmare.com/"]RC Nightmare Blog Homepage[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/rcflightschool#p/u/0/22ZYAJoNXRg]RC Flight School-RC Plane Vids[/url] << Click & Subscribe !!

sportfury

i have a traxxas rustler vxl (upgraded from xl-5) which i believe is considered a truggy. and as of right now i have pretty slugish air control. you can see it try. theres just not enough power. but i still have faith in it because i dont even have a LiPo. i bet thatle do the trick. unfortunately i know NOTHING about LiPo's and what sized gearing to run it with.

with todays engineering and technology and how the build rc cars they are pretty well balanced, i wannted to do flips with my rustler one day and im only running vxl with nimh batts, i went down to my local tire shop and a buddy gave me a bunch of tire weights they use on the inside of custom rims, they are in a strip, breakaway by 1/2 oz increments and they are peel and stick which is nice because they remove fairly easy and cause no structual damage, i used 4 1/2 oz on the back under side of the chassis and i was able to get a single flip, was kind of cool, i stayed with landing in the grass though, asphalt is not so forgiving, lol, been there. the only bad thing is make sure you get a bunch since they are peel and stick once you peel them off they dont stick again, you will have to get new sticky tape. ( also besure to recycle the old lead and be cautious when handling lead )

The rustler is considered a stadium truck. Truggies are usually 4wd. The rustler has a hard time flipping because flips come from the change in inertian in the wheels. Monster trucks have huge wheels and tires with alot of inertia plus four wheel drive so the static inertia is overcome very easily since all of the wheels are moving.

The rustler is only 2wd and it wheels are relativly lightweight so it can be a challenge to flip cause there isn't much inertia in the wheels. also since it can only power 2 wheels instead of 4, the static inertia of the front wheels counter acts the kinetic inertia of the rear wheels.

In order to flip a rustler you will need to have a brushless system that can handle 3s, a 3s lipo, and a wheelie bar.

roll up on the ramp at about half throttle then about half way up the ramp, punch it and the inertia of the wheelie should carry through the air and make it backflip.
    SportFury and BSRC like this.
    I reject your reality, and blow it up with C4.

My Garage:
    Losi 8ight 2.0 E
    Losi XXX-SCT
    Associated B4.1 Worlds edition

get a Savage 2350 for hardcore bashing, or if your gonna just do mild stuff get an E-Revo and put dual KD 700 HO's in it if you can't go BL. i guess it all depends on how much cash you got though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast