Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinion on my 1st hobby RC rig!

Looking for opinion on my 1st hobby RC rig!

Hey - brand new to site and looking to get into some beginner-intrrmediate RC'ing.

Me: I don't have a ton of time so I need an electric RTR. I've looked on line and it seems Traxxas and HPI are the top brands (others may disagree)

In my price point, I was thinking either: 1. Mini E-Revo, 2. Rustler, or 3. E-Firetorm.

I understand the biggest differences are scale and the e-revo is 4WD. I don't have tons of space to run unless I drive, so not sure I should go 1/10th. Just looking for some advice on my choices and if anyone has some other suggestions. Thanks!!

what kind of surfaces would you be running on?

Probably tooling around my property which is mostly grass, some dirt, and pavement/driveway/street. But I'll definitely be getting in the car to try and find places with wide open dirt/mud and trails. Would love to find courses around, but there isn't much. Thanks!!

First, i would go with either the Mini E-Revo or the Rustler because they have soooooo much part support and there are a ton of upgrades out there. Now you have to pick.... To me, it all comes down to what the terrain is like. If its tall grass and super bumpy dirt you would probably want the 1/10 truck for the obvious reasons. But if the grass isnt too tall and the dirt and trails arent too bumpy i would get the Mini E-Revo. and since the Mini E-Revo is 4wd it could tackle mud better than the rustler. But for some reason i have a feeling that you would like the Mini E-Revo, its a really good truck and is a lot of fun. I would know because i own one

First WELCOME to the site

From what I understand, everyone that has the mini-revo really likes it but as hinted/said it would really come down to what you are going to do w/o it which sounds like mainly bashing. Any monster truck style rig will be good for this. Traxxas or HPI would be a good choice 'cause of durability and parts support, stuff will break
    The monster truck rigs have larger tires and , generally, a taller stance for larger jumps and such. While you can bash with other types of rigs the monster truck is a more common basher.
    Jay

[url="http://www.youtube.com/rcnightmare#p/a/u/0/DxSeXbkRtLU"]YouTube - RC Nightmare[/url] << Click & Subscribe !!

[url="http://www.rcnightmare.com/"]RC Nightmare Blog Homepage[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/rcflightschool#p/u/0/22ZYAJoNXRg]RC Flight School-RC Plane Vids[/url] << Click & Subscribe !!

Thanks for the replies guys! I think the MERV is calling my name...

What about upgrades just to get started?

- A second NiMH and connector OR can I/should I run a Lipo in this?
    - Any additional waterproofing I need to do?
    - Quick charger

Any other upgrades...again, just to get started? Thanks!

RCN Staffer
    That truck is sealed up tight! Just make sure to clean it real good after some muddin or wet bashing otherwise it turns into a stiff brick.

Definitely get a quick charger. The extra battery doesn't hurt but eventually you will want lipo so consider that when buying your charger.

It sounds like you made up your mind but if I can still cast my vote I'd say the Stampede 4x4. That truck goes through EVERYTHING. I can't say it enough it's my favorite 1/10 basher by far.

Welcome to the sight I look forward to seeing your first purchase and R/C experience!
    Volt Up. Gear Down.

Team RCN - Subscribe - Youtube RC Nightmare

loved my mini revo, but sold it right after i got a slash 4x4. the smaller scale cars/trucks tend to flip very easy and i got tired of chasing my mini to turn it over. dont get me wrong the mini revo got me back into R/C and it was a fun truck definitely a good first step. heres my first vid i ever made running my mini

Nice vid batman, like the soundtrack! I def. hear you on the small scale issue.

It's not too late BSRC - I appreciate the vote on the Stampede. I think I'm getting hung up on the "monster" part of the truck - like it would be too top heavy...which is probably ridiculous thinking since the body probably weighs 1 oz. And the chassis and component layout is really what it comes down to (I think). I've always loved the buggies but do think I need much more ground clearance for where I'll be running.

It's also coming down to price...$300 for the MERV seems to be "most bang for the buck" - then again, I'm the type to spend another 100 to get a bigger and badder rig. Ugh - decisions! I can't imagine I won't get hooked and fill my garage with a few trucks as time goes by.

Thanks for the replies all!

welcome to the site man!! shnebo is right, anything traxxas is PERFECT for beginners.. specially the merv.. i have one, their sooooo tough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast