Thread: Making electric cars faster

Lucas333

Lightbulb Making electric cars faster

Hi everyone I have just got given the big tamia hotshot for my birthday but I'm really disappointed with the speed so I was wandering If there is anything I can do what doesnt cost loads of money to make it go faster.
    Thanks.

well if you are not using lipo you can switch to lipo as long as your esc can handle it. You can get a more powerful motor as well. I switched the 3300 brushless from my t4 and put in a 5700kv. lots of options but make sure to adjust your gearing as needed

I dont know which set up that is but Bearings, oil your motor if you have a brushed motor, break in your brushed motor, raise your gearing, only if your not burning up your motor. Get bigger tires. And last get a high current connector (deans)

Quote Originally Posted by megarallycar View Post
    I dont know which set up that is but Bearings, oil your motor if you have a brushed motor, break in your brushed motor, raise your gearing, only if your not burning up your motor. Get bigger tires. And last get a high current connector (deans)
    Bigger tires will put more weight on it making it go slower. Brushless Engine and Lipos are the best way to go.
    2nd Place is the 1st Loser

E Revo Mamba Monster 2200kv
    Slash 2WD Stock with Homemade Swaybars

Youtube Account:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChris1696?feature=mhum[/url]

Bigger tires will make more rotating mass. Just making it harder to get going and harder to stop. But you can hardley feel a difference. And adding bigger tires doesnt add allot of weight. Unless you go from 2.2/3.0s to 1:8 tires. Only bad things about bigger tires are they make your motor a bit warmer. Have more rotating mass which will slow down acceleration but also if you have a good set up you will have a much faster acceleration.

Best things to do to make an electric faster

1.) Trim all unnecesary weight
    2.) If possible, bring the wheels under the body. If not possible then get skinnier wheels and tires. It you have a 2.2/3.0 wheels and tires, get 17mm hex hub adapters and use 1/8 buggy wheels and tires or if possible, use 1/10 touring car tires.
    3.) Taller gear ratio
    4.) Install fans on the motor and esc to diminish heat due to taller gearing and make the motor and speed control work more efficiently.
    6.) go through and oil up all of the bearings and bushings and replace worn and ceased bearings and bushings.
    I reject your reality, and blow it up with C4.

My Garage:
    Losi 8ight 2.0 E
    Losi XXX-SCT
    Associated B4.1 Worlds edition

Basic performance +'s. (Rtr cars with stock motors)

Break in brushed motor.
    If not, replace all bushing's with bearings.
    Raise your pinion.
    Oil your bushings on your brushed motor. if your using a racing motor oil your bearings, new brushes, use a com lathe if you have one.
    Increase tires while also getting some higher grip tires.
    Vent body for better air flow and control while in air.
    Adjust shock oil, spring rate, and shock angle to your driving stlye and conditions.

I personally will adjust my shocks so i i lean more into the turns, jump more consistant, and make it soft enough so im not bouncing and traction rolling all over. Now multiple things also play in that but shock angles and preload are a good way to start