Thread: Traxxas Rustler VXL 2.4 GHz VS HPI E-Firestorm FLUX 2.4GHz

gerrard1889

Traxxas Rustler VXL 2.4 GHz VS HPI E-Firestorm FLUX 2.4GHz

Hi all,

I am looking to get my first rc car for bashing and im stuck between the e-firestorm flux or the traxxas rustler vxl ?

how fast fast will the traxxas rustler go out of the box ? which one of these do you think will be best for a first car for
    bashing ?

Thanks,Ruben

the rustler is perfect for bashing and it will go 45+ with the included items and 70+ with a 3s lipo battery and the 31/76 pinion and spur gears

I would say the rustler would be a better choice. The rustler will have better parts availability since its a older model. It will also probably be a little cheaper. Traxxas also has the trade up program, so when you are ready for more speed, its a little cheaper to upgrade...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I have the vxl rustler and I love it. Every hobby shop has traxxas parts and after market upgrades for the rustler. Hpi will be hit and miss for parts availibility. If you get the rusty, when parts start breaking go for rpm upgrades, they are well worth thier price. first part you should buy is the rpm front bumper. it will save you alot of $$ on front end parts.

Don't care what kind of traxxas and hip it is is traxxas is a lot better. The only thing better about HPI is there a little bit more solid but most of them are slower, have less power(exempt the 1/5th scale),Harder to get replacement parts

And the rustler VXL out of the box should go about 40mph on cement and about 30+mph in the grass

All right. I will be listing the pros and cons of both of them. (I have an efirestorm flux and have driven a rustler vxl.)
    First of all, I would like to start by asking you: what has the best parts support? Parts support is critical. If one car has better parts support, go for it.

Rustler vs efirestorm

I have an owned an efirestorm flux. First thing I did was put a 3s lipo and started bashing with it. It is very durable and handles very well on the track. After one full year with it, I have not replaced any parts from breakages, only upgraded them to aluminum. It is very strong and can take a beating. It wheelies on command and (the 2011) is waterproof out of the box. I am very pleased with it and it is one of the greatest cars I have owned.
    My one complain about it is the motor mount. On the rear of the truck, there is a motor mount. If you are a beginner at jumping, parts will come loose if you land on the motor mount. Other than that, it is a great truck.

The rustler on the other hand is more geared of bashers. It is waterproof out of the box too. It is amazingly fast but doesn't handle the track too well. (keep in mind, I don't own it. Only driven it.) I don't have much to say, but for the rustler, it is a speed demon but not too much racing unless you are willing to tune it and upgrade it. Since it is your first RC car, I suggest you go with the one with more parts support. Online support is also useful and by judging from the comments above, this forum is the place to consult problems with traxxas products (so many traxxas fans!).

Have fun with your pick!
    rcfreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasyson View Post
    Don't care what kind of traxxas and hip it is is traxxas is a lot better. The only thing better about HPI is there a little bit more solid but most of them are slower, have less power(exempt the 1/5th scale),Harder to get replacement parts
    I nearly did standing back flips with the first gen E-Firestorm flux with a 2s. Most brushless motors are equal. But Mamba is a bit a head of the pack with their 4-pole motors.

I've driven both for long periods of time.The first gen Rustler VXL and first gen E-firestorm flux. Upgrades to the new gen versions. The VXL now is water proof. The flux has an even more powerful system then before (3s compatibility) and it's water proof.

I liked the Firestorm better. Even with the old version on a 2s, I was afraid to pull the throttle. I've driven a Slash 4x4 with a 3s, not as scary as the Firestorm. Handles very well, even with all the power. Super easy going and around the track can keep up with my B4, and the Firestorm was stock. Super tough, run over my a full steel cadge E-Maxx on dual 4s then slammed into a tree down the back straight, scratch on the body.

Rustler, Great, fun, fast, more then enough power to bald tires in a single run, a bit skiddish around the track though. Of course could be fixed with a bit of tuning.

They're pretty much even, but the Firestorm has that factor. Just "the factor" Just a quality to the drive

But yes the Firestorm is more expensive and there's less part support, but RPM has a full line. So even if the odd chance it does break. RPM it

EDIT: Flux has full metal drivetrain
    Last edited by WhiteTech; 12-11-2011 at 05:17 AM.