Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: RC Help

djdrew

RC Help

Hi,

I am looking at getting an electric rc car. I have not had one for about 20 years and the one I had you could walk behind. I am a complete beginner and no nothing much about them.

I have a few questions and was hoping you could help me.

1. What is a brushless engine?
    2. Do you need to do much to an electric car to use it? (does the motor need to be messed about with)
    3. I want a car that is pretty strong, i have been looking at the HPI Bullet monster truck and stadium truck. Which of these two would be stronger or are they just the same with a bit lower suspension.

Look forward to your comments

1) A brushless motor is "inside out" compared to your GWS motor. The windings are glued to the inside of the can, and the permanent magnets are bonded to the rotor. Since the wires don't move, you don't need brushes to transfer the electricity.

Take a look at the commutator on the GWS motor. It's cut into multiple sections. Depending on which two sections are in contact with the brushes at any given time, different sections of the windings are energized, creating the magnetic fields that push and/or pull against the fixed magnets in the can.

There are three wires coming from a brushless motor. Inside, all three wires are connected, and wound such that passing DC current through any two connections will create a magnetic field, making the rotor turn a partial revolution The computerized electronic speed control "commutates" a brushless motor by switching which two wires are being energized in a sequence.

Sensored and sensorless are two types of brushless motors. Sensored motors have a separate sensor, and an additional five wires, that tells the controller which direction and how fast the motor is turning. These are more complicated, more expensive, and difficult to reverse. They've pretty much gone the way of the dodo in R/C; only MaxCim still makes sensored brushless motors. SensorLESS motors use the fact that when a motor is coasting, it's generating electricity to see which direction and how fast the motor is turning. Knowing this information is crucial to making the motor turn in the correct direction, and knowing which two wires to pass current through at any given time to keep it turning in that direction. (from rcuniverse, Matt Kirsch)

2) The motor doesn't need to be messed around with, it would be best to run it softly for the first couple runs.

3) What do you like to do? Racing, bashing, mudding..
    2nd Place is the 1st Loser

E Revo Mamba Monster 2200kv
    Slash 2WD Stock with Homemade Swaybars

Youtube Account:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChris1696?feature=mhum[/url]

djdrew
    I think it would be more bashing, it that means driving it all over the place on different land

djdrew
    I am looking for a car at a reasonable price, and built very well that will hold up to being driven on road and grass and going over bumps. Any suggestions would be gratefully apreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djdrew View Post
    I am looking for a car at a reasonable price, and built very well that will hold up to being driven on road and grass and going over bumps. Any suggestions would be gratefully apreciated.

Thanks
    Only trucks with large ground clearance are good on grass and that's the exact same thing that makes them horrible on-road. You won't find an RC that does both well.

You could get a Traxxas Stampede or Slash for cheap off-road fun. The Duratrax Evader and the ECX vehicles are other options.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Not all rc's that are good at offroad are bad at onroad. Depends on your setup.

Youtube Account:

Quote Originally Posted by TheChris1696 View Post
    Not all rc's that are good at offroad are bad at onroad. Depends on your setup.
    Name one that is good on both grass and asphalt without drastic setup changes.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 12-10-2011 at 09:13 PM.

..... Maxx, Revo, Savage, Slash, Buggies, Truggies, Only ones are onroad cars like the new Traxxas XO-1

Youtube Account:

Quote Originally Posted by TheChris1696 View Post
    ..... Maxx, Revo, Savage, Slash, Buggies, Truggies, Only ones are onroad cars like the new Traxxas XO-1
    Monster trucks roll too easily on-road.

Truggies and buggies usually are too expensive to bash.

If the grass is high the Slash will get stuck.

Grass is hard on RCs

I love my B4, not a basher per-say but it works. Usually any off-road RC works with most environments, Grass is hard and all RCs, the only difference is that some are better at it then others

I'm not a Traxxas fan, but the Slash or Stampede are great, I'd go Stampede, higher, most monster truck. They're cheap and tough as nails, with RPM parts indestructible
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast