Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T4.1 motor getting hot, please help!

T4.1 motor getting hot, please help!

I have a team associated t4.1 that is completely stock out of the box with only about two hours total run time on it. I am running a 6cell 5000 nimh battery with a 3300kv reedy brushless motor, the gearing is 18t pinion and 87t spur gear for 12.57:1 final drive. Again this is how it came out of the box. Here is my issue! The other day i was bashing around with it running about three quarters throttle non-stop for fifteen minutes. When i was done the batteries and the esc were warm but the motor was so hot i couldn't touch it. What is going on and what should i do if anything? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Big boyz with lil' toyz!

if it's the motor, try a fan, gearing, check your mesh?

I checked the gear mesh and it seemed pretty tight which i thought was odd being it was out of the box. I reset the mesh and everything seems to be much more free now where before everything seemed to be kind of in a bind. I will try it out tomorrow if this rain will ever stop, lol! I will post to let u know if this helped. Thanks again for the help!
    Big boyz with lil' toyz!

Well i took my t4.1 out today for another run after resetting the gear mesh. Again i bashed it for fifteen minutes at three quarters throttle and the motor was just a little warm, not hot like before, although it was about fifteen degrees colder outside today, but i still think the mesh was just too tight. Has anyone else ever had problems with the mesh being set too tight on a rtr kit? Thanks!
    Big boyz with lil' toyz!

i have on my ecx circuit. just do the the paper trick. by putting a piece of paper btween the spur and pinion.step 1 loosen the motor screws enough to have the motor to move alittle freely but still on the motor plate. step2 cut a piec of paper about 3 inches long andhalf an ich wide just eyeball that and put it on the pinion and mesh the spur and pinion together enough to have the paper crimp. keeping the motor in place tighten the motor screws back up and rotate the tires to move the paper between them. and you should have proper mesh to know how is to hold your pinion and rock your spur and you should be alittle play or moving room with the spur hope this helps

Yeah that's exactly what i did and it worked well. Seemed to make a big difference in the motor temp.
    Big boyz with lil' toyz!

The first thing you should do out of the box with and RTR is check the mesh, it does usually come pretty tight, and check your wheel nuts, it doesn't make as much difference on a 1/10 as ti does on a micro, but any little bit helps
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

true that Whitetech, first thing I do with every RTR I get is give it a good once over and make sure everything is in order. Alot of the time I will even do a little tuning here or there(like shocks) before I run it I think it is because I'm from a time when all RCs were kits you had to build and I miss that sometimes.

Took the t4 out again today for another run and the motor seems to be running somewhat cooler since i reset the gear mesh. I'm getting about ten good minutes of run time so i feel that is sufficient time to get a good temp on the motor. Next I will upgrade to a good lipo battery in hope of increased run time.
    Big boyz with lil' toyz!

Quote Originally Posted by racerat View Post
    Took the t4 out again today for another run and the motor seems to be running somewhat cooler since i reset the gear mesh. I'm getting about ten good minutes of run time so i feel that is sufficient time to get a good temp on the motor. Next I will upgrade to a good lipo battery in hope of increased run time.

A Lipo may increase your motor temp though, for more run time, look for a battery with a higher MaH. I get about 15 on my 2400 and about 45mins with my 4200 mah batteries. I think you should spend $8 on some good Trinity brushless motor oil, I have some and it made a surprising difference, smoother, quieter and cooler.
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast