Thread: questions about batteries

questions about batteries

Can somebody give me a rundown on batteries. Whats the advantages and disadvantages on lipo nimh, 6 or 7 cell, What applications you would use one over the other. etc etc

hmmm good question.... I believe it boils down to discharge rate, power, charge, amps.

In my opinion all are good in their own application, I myself use lipo's. My reason is the discharge(how much power the unit receives at one time) rate and weight is by far more Superior to any other type of batt. Down fall is if your not careful with running your batt to low, over charging or puncturing you can damage or explode your Lipo's, destroying your rc or what ever it's sitting on at the time.

Some esc's will only allow you to put a certain amount of power through the unit and will not require a Lipo so 6-7 cell nimh batts will do just fine(crawlers/scalers)

Not to sure if this answers your question completely, but this is my understanding about some of the batts info that I know of. I'm not a batt techy tho

does a brushless system have to run a lipo or can it accept either, and can a brushed system run a lipo without any modifications. Also what is the biggest nimh battery you can run on a brushed car

a brushless system can run on both nimh and lipo as long it has auto adaption. meaning it will automaticaly knows what battery you put in it

I'm pretty sure all ESC's made now can run Lipo, the issue comes with not every ESC has a Lipo low voltage cut off mode. Meaning you will need to purchase a low voltage cut off alarm that will plug into your batt and your receiver(lets you know with a really loud beep when the volts are to low) As for the nimh, I think that you can run almost anything 6-7cell, only difference there is you will not need the alarm, Your batt will loose power and your car will slowly come to a stop. Every esc has different battery modes, you will need to check your manual for details on how to change between different modes.

Nitro has other forms of cut off due to the fact if your truck is at full throttle and your batt dies or you go out of range, it will close the carb ultimately starving the motor of fuel thus stopping it.

lower end trucks usually can run lipos, even if they dont have lvc, but u just gotta be careful with it.. nihm is usually for brushed/rtrs, but if you find good ones, can run with brushless.

This is a difficult kind of a question it gets very technical. LIPO batterys are more efficient and constant than NIMH, when you run a LIPO volage drops a small amount at first then run even until its almost dead then dumps quick. A NIMH will lose power slowly all the way through the discharge so its fast at first then just keeps getting slower all the way through. I would say to google and or searh youtube to read more about the tech parts of LIPO it seems a little complicated but you will get it, there are people that can explain it better than I can.

You do not want to run your LIPO untill dead it will damage the battery that is what the LIPO cut off is for, there are LIPO cut off modules and LIPO voltage indicators you can get to be safe on ESCs that do not have a cut off built in.

Once you use a LIPO you will never want to use NIMH again that is for sure and thease days LIPO is not that much more money if you buy smart. Look at hobbypartz.com and hobbyking.com. I recommend gens ace 5000 mah 40c 2s batterys there about 35 bucks and are very good I have also heard good things about sky and turnigy batterys.

Both brushed and brushless systems can use either type of battery, what you have to watch for is what your ESC is rated for volts wise don't put to much power through your ESC or it will smoke. You will be safe with 2s(7.4v) on just about anything but if you can get away with 3s(11.1v) its worth it. The more power full brushless systems need to have more power or they will cog(studder) but you will prolly start with smaller or "standard" systems anyway so you can grow into the bigger stuff.

Hope this helps.

I like nimhs for waterproof and I still don't trust lipos.... but I'm sure id love them if I had them

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    DIRTSCOOT 572
    TRAXXAS STAMPEDE VXL
    RC8B
    youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/KawasakiDude101?feature=mhee
    Next up is SCX10 show me what ya got
    RC trailers for sale

I think this is helpful for you http://www.slkelectronics.com/ecalc/lithium.htm