Thread: XL-5 to VXL

XL-5 to VXL

I have had a stock Traxxas Rustler XL-5 for a while now and its gotten kind of boring. I have plenty of upgraded parts on it so it is durable. Should I get the VXL kit for it or is it better to just buy the rustler vxl? Also, could someone give me a list of all the parts I should put on it when going brushless?

if you're all upgraded, just rock out the vxl system in your existing kit

VXL FTW

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    DIRTSCOOT 572
    TRAXXAS STAMPEDE VXL
    RC8B
    youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/KawasakiDude101?feature=mhee
    Next up is SCX10 show me what ya got
    RC trailers for sale

Is it necessary to go to all ball bearings and pro ball diff if I'm using a 3s?

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    a ball diff is not required. ball diff's are more a racing thing. if you're racing regularly you might want to consider one. but if you're just bashing don't worry about it.

bearings? didn't that truck come with bearings? if not id get them. i wouldn't trust modern brushless and lipo power and run times to bushings. sounds like trouble waiting to happen
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

no I got one that still had bushings at the wheels and outdrives I believe

I would definitely upgrade to bearings to get the most out of your brushless setup. Plus the standard bushings will wear out extremely quick due to the high speeds of a brushless setup. If your truck has bushings it probably also has plastic gears in the gear box. I would upgrade all those to metal gears or you are inevitably going to strip some gears (I stripped every gear at some point when I upgraded to brushless).

As for the brushless setup to get, the VXL system is a good choice due to the waterproofing, though I have had less problems with my Castle Sidewinder Sv2 brushless setups. Plus with the Castle you have alot more programing options than the VXL system.

I checked, it has all metal gears its part of what they advertise as a brushless ready trans.