Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Beginner Basher?

Quote Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan View Post
    duratrax evader is a good way to start.
    nothing is easier to maintain or simpler in design than a 2wd stadium truck. the evader is a platform known to be good for beginers and intermediate hobbyists. it comes RTR for a good price. it's known to be a pretty tough truck and a lot of the parts have a 1 year "stress tech guarantee". you break it, they replace the part free for the first year. it's also race worthy on the club level if you ever want to give that a shot.
    A Slash is pretty much 2wd Stadium Truck... but with an SC body

Im voting Slash, I may not like Traxxas but, solidly on the reason of a massive community hundreds of hop-ups, and RPM parts. They are a very good truck...
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTech View Post
    A Slash is pretty much 2wd Stadium Truck... but with an SC body
    it's more a 2wd monster truck than stadium truck. it's stampede based not rustler based.

Im voting Slash, I may not like Traxxas but, solidly on the reason of a massive community hundreds of hop-ups, and RPM parts. They are a very good truck...
    i strongly differ in opinion on that. and so would 2 of my friends who got into RC with a slash and within months (7 weeks in one case) sold the trucks and got out of RC because of the slash. those guys aint ever coming back to RC, and know they bust my balls because i still run RC. they wanted in to RC, i tried to talk them into stadium trucks. they wanted short course trucks. i tried to talk them into SC10's. they bought slashes. and know they're haters. sucks huh?
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Stadium trucks are normally pretty durable and easy to make them go fast. I LOVED my traxxas rustler. Ok durability, but I am a hardcore basher. Like the first task for my blitz was repeated falls from well over 15ft in the air.

If you like sct, the blitz is really durable from my experience, but parts cost more (on the off chance you would ever need any). But it has a lower center of gravity and is generally low to the ground compared to the slash, so going through grass on stock suspension is kind of a challenge.

If I were you I would go for a slash, slash vxl, stampede 4x4, or a rustler. Normally I am against traxxas but they just seem to fit you perfectly.
    hpi blitz castle mmp and 1410 motor gens ace 5000mah 40c 2s
    merv vxl 3s lipo
    losi micro desert truck bone stock for now

rednecks last words
    "hey yall, watch this"

Well I vote slash, but there is also sorry guys not traxxas, but the hpi has a couple different things. Check out he bullet flux st. I know not monster truck but look. And hey have a new 4x4 apache and a flux buggy and buggy. Or if it is traxxas you want check out Tue erevo. It is last and durable and unable. And race worthy for sure. Just my opinion on what you are looking for. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan View Post

i strongly differ in opinion on that. and so would 2 of my friends who got into RC with a slash and within months (7 weeks in one case) sold the trucks and got out of RC because of the slash. those guys aint ever coming back to RC, and know they bust my balls because i still run RC. they wanted in to RC, i tried to talk them into stadium trucks. they wanted short course trucks. i tried to talk them into SC10's. they bought slashes. and know they're haters. sucks huh?
    but why did they think they were they so bad? From what I hear it's just RC in general they didn't like. The Slash Super easy to drive and tough, and the tires don't wear out too quickly. They do get unstable at high speeds, but all ShortCourse trucks do (Try driving a Slash 4x4 with a 3s on a dust road, sucks.) They're pretty much a stadium truck. The original SC10 was a T4 with bumpers and body.

I'd vote others, but Slash are the cheapest, or one of... As for ShortCourse, I don't like ShortCourse, I'd vote Buggy, but they're not too great of bashers, or Stadium.

But SC trucks have big bumpers and long wear tires making them very beginner friendly.
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

the rustler , stampede and slash are all good bashers for the price i have one of each an there are still kickin besides some motor fouling out and a reciever issue i recently bought an ecx circuit for the i thought it was decent but after the frist week i went to a bigger battery and then i started snapin axles so i put some traxxas vxl drive shaft on it and now i have to replcae the trans gears i striped so i would diffently go with a traxxas model for bashing

lol now every ones changeing there story on me lol

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    but why did they think they were they so bad? From what I hear it's just RC in general they didn't like. The Slash Super easy to drive and tough, and the tires don't wear out too quickly. They do get unstable at high speeds, but all ShortCourse trucks do (Try driving a Slash 4x4 with a 3s on a dust road, sucks.) They're pretty much a stadium truck. The original SC10 was a T4 with bumpers and body.
    they had a bad experience with the slash. they figured all of RC was the same way so they started hating.
    the main complaints from everybody iv ever known who owned a slash was crappy handling, it was flip happy and (in stock form) it broke a lot.
    in 7 weeks my homie managed to break, 2 front suspension arms, the rear skid, the chassis, and destroy the body. all done on a race track running the slash spec class.
    the other homie owned one for about 6 - 8 months. i think it had more aftermarket parts than stock parts. all he ever did was complain about how easily unsettled it was on "ruff" terrain, how easily it flipped over, how easily it broke, that the SC10's and blitz's were kicking his butt. it finally reached a point that he was fed up with it and his wife was on his case about how much he had and was spending on it. so the truck got put on ebay.

i have 3 other friends who have owned them as well. one spent (counting the purchase of the truck) a $1000 on the thing hopped it up out the ass. still hated it, gave it to his step son and bought an SC10. his step son then destroyed that slash in the matter of months. they still have it and it still sort of works.
    friend #2 was already heavy into RC. raced 1/8 buggys. when the SC class got big he bought a slash. raced it semi successfully for a few months. spent more money on the slash than he did on his 1/8 buggy. it wasn't highly competitive, he was out of money. parked both his RC's and hasn't touched them in a few years. iv tried to get him to the bash spot a few times. he won't bash his buggy cause it's still set up for racing. and he won't bash the slash because "iv got to much money in it to bash it". lame excuse i know. frankly i think he's afraid of breaking it and/or getting out bashed by SC10's and stadium trucks. when you bring up the slash he almost seems like he's ashamed to own it.
    the last friend iv got that had one drove it, broke it, fixed it. drove it, broke it, fixed it. drove it, broke it, fixed it. did that for about 6 months until he finally realized he was spending way to much money on it. "the handling sucks so bad you can't not crash it". sold it and is know racing slot cars. as an AE guy back in the 80's he doesn't hate RC, he just really hates the slash. i'v been trying to talk him into a stadium truck but right know he's not willing to give RC another shot because he's afraid of having another slash experience.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

@suburban_hooligan, Well obviously we've had different experiences. All my friends have them because they are stupidly tough, I didn't say they have good handling, but they are easy to drive. I don't like them, but they are good IMO. But of course that's my opinion. My B4 tends to kick everyone around here at the track anyway
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Another Ford, Chev, dodge discussion.....lol

Slash is my vote, Cheap Cheap Cheap for what you get. If you decide to race they have slash specific classes, if you just want to bash they can and will take it with open arms, if you want speed runs you might not want to go the route of a Slash

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast