Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Beginner Basher?

yah i dont want to be spending $1000+... maybe over time yes but i want something around like $200 to like $500, that can handle dirt grass and street from time to time, jumps but not insane ones... and if it were to break it i want to be able to find parts easly... something that will last me 2 or 3 years at least...

my original idea was actually rc air plain's but with weather as a factor on when i can fly and if i mess up i could flush all my time and money down the drain... plus im a mechanic i can do cars lol

Quote Originally Posted by npa4863 View Post
    yah i dont want to be spending $1000+... maybe over time yes but i want something around like $200 to like $500, that can handle dirt grass and street from time to time, jumps but not insane ones... and if it were to break it i want to be able to find parts easly... something that will last me 2 or 3 years at least...

my original idea was actually rc air plain's but with weather as a factor on when i can fly and if i mess up i could flush all my time and money down the drain... plus im a mechanic i can do cars lol
    Well like I said, from my experiences, A Slash is very tough and 50 billion parts available because they are so popular. Great beginner RC.
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

ok il give it a try... is the stock radio and battery good to start with or should i upgrade?

my friend has ele. heli's so i checked the spec.s to see if i could use his batterys and i was like holy ^%$*&%* the thing takes a 12S lipo! im pretty sure it would melt with a 12S.... il see what kinda charger he runs maybe i can barrow that?

sorry for all the questions but i like to be informed lol

I have owned a slash vxl 2wd for about 5 months and bashed it regularly, I have broken 2 rear axle carriers, bent one shock, destroyed a body by sliding down the road at speed on the roof many many times!, still love it still bash it constantly, one thing I wish I did get was the 4wd version vxl slash, not so much for the forward traction alone but for the added traction during braking, the vxl 2wd set up is akin to ripping the hand brake in a rear wheel drive car, where as 4wd braking is much more balanced and complient.
    As a basher I would love to get the brushed e-maxx its waterproof to a decent standard and has good clearance and heaps of suspension travel, being brushed it wont be very fast but that just means you wont break as mush or lose control as often, I would also suggest a summit for the same reasons but its not quite a basher or a crawler its a bit of both but certainly worth a second though

whith the 4wd slash can you balance the brakes to your liking? like front rear?

il take a look at the 2 you mentioned too...

no you cant alter the braking between fron or rear bias well I dont think you can, perhaps with a centre diff, but my point was you have 4 tyres to haul up the truck instead of 2 so the difference in braking is alot better with 4wd

yah, but when you said e brake i was thinking of drifting it... tho you dont really need an e brake to drift... i see people with the pvc pipe tires just goose it and crank it side ways... idk i just wounding how much customization and tuning its capable of really...

As far as I know there is no way to altar the braking force front to rear, the RC does not use brakes on the axles it uses a common drag brake/reverse that the esc offers to slow or stop the motor from rotating not the tires from spinning. There might be an aftermarket mod for this but as far as I know it's for more of the nitro stuff than any electric.

As to your other questions......
    * If you go with the 2.4 remote your good for anything, if you run with the 27mhz remote you will encounter interference with others who run the same frequency as you. You might want to keep that in mind and buy yourself some crystals just in case others share the same frequency as your stock crystals, or upgrade to the 2.4 right away

* The 1 batt that come with most RTR slashes are the Traxxas 8.4v 7 cell or a hump pack NIMH, you would have to upgrade to lipo's if your wanting to use lipo's right away, it's not to bad but I would not be looking forward to long run times. The wall charger that's included with the batt has issues, kinda a hit and miss if you get one that charges right. The esc that comes stock NOW can handle the lipo's and I do believe they also come stock with lipo cut-off mode on, doesn't matter if it's the xl-5 or VXL3.

im at dead lock on which one should buy...

platinum- no radio, receiver, battery or charger but has the center dif and a bunch of aluminum upgrades and big bores... $420
    ultimate- has every thing above plus all i need to start.. tho ide like to go lipo but that seems to be an investment of it self...lol $568
    RTR- has basics (radio,battery,charger) but no aluminum parts or center diff... $424

things im getting held up on...
    *with the platinum and ultimate your getting both the slipper and the center diff so if one gose i have back up...
    *now cost of radio and lipo and a charger (again maybe i can use my friends charger which will save a bunch) out weight the extra cost id be paying to if went ultimate then graduated to lipo later on? (idk how much a good radio is or lipo or charger...)
    *are the platinum and ultimate upgrades worth the extra $120+ (more after lipo and charger...)

lol traxxas will probably release the thing before i can go and buy this one and il have to start all over with the questions lol

i bet im you guys worst nightmare; a newb thats fighting with him self...lol i guess it beats an absolute clueless one...

I would go the ultimate, the aluminium upgrades are definately worth it and if you bought stock it would cost more to add them later, the centre diff is an awesome feature and I think all models come with the slipper clutch, its basically a safety feature designed to slip instead of break driveline components

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast