Thread: Traxxas Rustler VXL Slipper Clutch Problem

Traxxas Rustler VXL Slipper Clutch Problem

Hi. I've had my Traxxas Rustler for about 8 months now and I have been expierencing some issues with the slipper clutch. It was brushed but I upgraded to brushless. If I loosen my slipper 1/4 of a turn, it's WAY to loose. If I loosen it about 1/8 of a turn, and it still is a bit to loose. I have no idea what is going on but if you could help me I would be so happy. Btw, I regreased the transmission and the problem continues. Thanks,
    -TraxxasAllOut

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn is a lot for a slipper clutch. when i adjust the slipper on my XXXT i have to do it about 1/8 to 1/16 at a time.
    the thing to do is to tighten it down all the way (be careful not to go to tight and strip or damage it) then back it off about a half turn or so and drive it around on a flat surface. test it and back it off (or tighten it up if you have to) a 1/8 to 1/16 of a turn. test it. and keep doing that until it slips the way you want it to. should take you all of about 5 minutes to have it dialed in where you want it.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

By loosen do you mean tighten?

Because the brushless is much much more powerful the slipper needs to be tighter, and take Hooligan's plan. It's a good one, just be careful not to strip any gears. Keeping the slipper tight won't do harm to the slipper it's self, So don't be afraid of tightening it... it's the gears in the Tranny that you need to worry about with a powerful motor.

If that plan doesn't work, It could also be its started to get worn. There are 2 plates on the Spur gear that can be replaced for $2, but it could also be dirty or have an oil of some sort on it, wipe it down with a damp cloth and make sure it's 100% dry before putting it back in.
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

That's what I do. Tighten it all the way, loosen it very slowly. I wasn't sure if it was messed up or not. The thing is, half a turn barley gets the car going.

Thanks. Today was when i regreased the tranny the gears had no sign of damage. I've cleaned the slipper assembly and the same result. I think I can run the slipper tight because the transmission gears were fine. Thanks for your help.

NOTE:The brushless system I'm running is the Traxxas Velineon 3500.

Problem solved

Yeah I have been running my 2wd slash with a tight slipper since day 1, never break any gears, did break the roll pin in the lay shaft though, just stuck a piece of body clip in its place and its been good ever since

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Yeah I have been running my 2wd slash with a tight slipper since day 1, never break any gears, did break the roll pin in the lay shaft though, just stuck a piece of body clip in its place and its been good ever since
    Ok. Thanks.