Thread: 31YR old need help with first RC ever... Looking for quality at an affordable price.

31YR old need help with first RC ever... Looking for quality at an affordable price.

I have never owned an RC car, well maybe through my twin boys who I bought Walmart specials for. They are junk I have taken each one apart 2 or 3 times re-soldering etc. You and Brandon have convinced me to get them Helion Animus(s) starter cars.

I am looking for something myself and was trying to get your take on the Duratrax Evader vs. the Stampede both Brushless.

Wondering about size I do like the size of the 1/16 sorry slash or summit, I think the mini E revo looks neat but am afraid of its speed and it looks unstable.

I will be running factory (except the steering servo and shocks and the "nerf bars or bumpers" (the parts you seem to always suggest upgrading) I am not a speed junky, dont care about ramps but will take advantage of what nature has setup.

I was wondering about batteries as well I have watched the videos but was wondering about brands and size are their any usefull size and or dimension tables out for the public to cross reference the different trucks and cars battery compartments or holders???

Thank you for taking the time.

I am really looking hard at the Stampede VXL 4x4.

Also wondering which affordable fast charger and which long lasting (less expensive) batteries...

if you are looking for great and cheap batteries go to hobbypartz.com. they have very cheap lipos and lipo chargers.

check out horizonhobby.com ECX very good reviews, perfect for beginners, and wallet friendly.
    Thats what she said.

Stampede 4x4 vxl for all around versitillity and fun and a mini summit for all around versatility and fun. Plus if u do see a tempting jump or water puddle, don't be afraid to go for it.

But I would recommend the mini erevo vxl but i didn't mention it cause u already scratched that idea.

I have thought about the MERV but decided I wanted more ground clearance we have very thick grass and we keep it 3 1/2 to 4" tall. I did pull the trigger and Purchase the VXL 4x4 Stampede. I also jumped the Gun and bought (2) 2S 10000mah 40C-80C nano-tech batteries and (2) 3S 6400mah 40C-80C nano-tech as well. I am now a little worried about the 40C vs. Traxxas listing only 25C in their battery charts.

I specifically went the direction I did because of the videos and looking through pages and pages of this forum trying to dig through everything...

I am very very appreciative of every response.

This is what I have on order so Far.

The batteries I listed, and the Truck I listed.

I am putting together an order that includes the Battery Extension and the RPM arms and bumpers.

What Else do you all suggest???

I am really really stumped on the battery charger, hoping to keep it less than $200.

I have been looking for internal balancer and Dual Voltages AC/DC but am open to suggestions.

I want more than 200W (as per recommendations off of this forum and the videos).

I would love to get lots of feedback on this topic. It will not fall on deaf ears.

Any suggestions.

If possible please include part numbers and brands.

Also PM if you could I will respond.

I have now purchased everything including the power supply and the battery charger, went with a 1300w 60 amp power supply and a 4 battery at a time charger w/ internal balancing...

I am pumped.

My real worry is can a 3500 VXL and ESC handle the 40C out of the 10000mah 2s and 6400mah 3s lipos???
    Last edited by NEWBWTWINS1; 05-05-2012 at 01:20 AM.

you car will have no problem handling those batteries, but one thing you need to keep in mind is that its going to be INSANE on 3s and you will brake drive shafts and other parts on the car due to the crazy amount of power that system can put out. i would recommend getting cvds from MIP (had them on my slash 4x4 work amazingly) have you have that it will take some time to find the weak points along your drive train and just upgrade what keeps breaking... on thing people have probelms with is i know on the slash 4x4 the bearing that fits around the slipper clutch would go out really fast and essential explode. i know they make some kind of upgrade for that... but sounds like you have a pretty sick setup, just get a nice set of tools and you will be good to go
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyinzo?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/u5ZEPGsD7wM]Check out my YouTube Channel : ill sub back if you sub me... CLICK ME [/url]

And you also need to be very touchy with the throttle because the vxl on 3s is freaking wikid.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by rcman View Post
    And you also need to be very touchy with the throttle because the vxl on 3s is freaking wikid.
    Ok.

So here it goes.

I just unboxed the Truck.

Charged the Factory Battery.

Ran it for 10 minutes and am still giddy.

I ran it up and down our subdivision Drainage ditch.

I have a Split Rail fence in the back with wire that I made a Garage Opening for it.

I was suprised at only getting 10Minutes out of it but I was running it in 4 -5 inches of grass.

Maybe this is not the case but reverse seemed faster or Punchier than forward...