Thread: Help on choosing a kit.

Help on choosing a kit.

Hi. I've been looking at getting a kit for a while and I need help on them. I just got a Slash 4x4 and it's awesome but I want my next car to be a kit. I want to run NiMH and I want a little bit of a challenge. I'm 12 so I dont want it to be to diffucult. One more thing would be the price. It's really not an issue for me but I don't want to pay like $400 without any electronics. Thanks!

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    tamiya has several kits to choose from. easy to assemble good quality stuff to. not the best performing or most durable vehicles out there. the blitzer beetle for example. but with a little imagination they are fun cars to build and drive.

not real sure what else is out there as far as kits go anymore. everything i can name is factory team style race car. factory team RC10T4.1 for example. i wish the manufactures would go back to making the standard or "team kits". they were basically the RTR chassis in kit form with universal shafts or CVD's, a ball diff and better shocks. everything a basher needed and nothing he didn't all for an affordable price, no hop ups necessary. which is probably why they don't make them anymore. they can rape our wallets this way. force us to spend 100+ hopping up an RTR or get us to over spend on a factory team race car.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Ok. I need something that I can bash and run NiMH. lol I have over $300 into my Rustler VXL. THe Slash is awesome! I don't really want to go with Tamiya. They've been around for a while but their cars and trucks just don't appeal to me. What cars do you have suburban_hooligan?

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    currently everything iv got is 10+ years old and the only 2 that run are a losi XXXT and a tamiya mini cooper (M03 chassis). i was lucky in that when i got into RC, really good performing, well equipped, affordable kits dominated the market. today kits seem to be limited to vintage series and high end race cars. sucks for those of us who want to build and need something with good performance that won't break the bank.

are you open to any type of vehicle? does 2wd or 4wd matter? im thinking sense you said you already have a rustler and slash 4x4 how about a monster truck? but the only one of those i can name that comes in a kit is the HPI savage xs ss. tower has it listed for $230. i think a NiMH will fit in those (double check that) but from what iv herd its somewhat of a pain to build and work on.
    is on road an option?
    idk, i hate to admit it but im kinda stumped on this one. i think you might get stuck buying another RTR unless you want a factory team style race truck.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

I have a Mini E-Revo VXL. That's fine if your stumped. I always smile when I see you responded.

id say get something on-road. something different is always a fun challenge. drifting doesn't require much power so nimh should be fine, and a lot of them do come in kits.
    Thats what she said.