Thread: What's Your R/C Story

What's Your R/C Story

This is a thread where you post how you got into R/Cs and how you got your R/Cs and what you do with your R/Cs.

Here's Mine...
    I started by getting a big cheap rc camaro from radio shack from my grandpa for christmas when I was 5 yrs old. I ran that up until 2008 when my friend stepped on it and broke the wheel. I was able to get a new one but it was $$. Then the same year, the gearbox split and gears fell all over. I couldn't figure out how to put it back together, so I figured I got enough use out of it and I just junked it. But back in 2007 I got a Tamiya copy 4x4 for my birthday. That was pretty nice. I loved that truck. It ran fast and powerful. Did 35mph. But then some parts broke and I sorta lost interest in it. But in 2009, my Dad bought an Evader St off of craigslist. It was in sad condition. (Servo ruined, worn tires, bad battery, no body, needed adjustments,etc.) So dad and I bought a couple metal servos and some new tires and rims. Got a body off ebay, and adjusted it like the instruction manuel said to. I went threw 6 brushed motors with that thing. Then I once again lost interest. So here in January of 2012, I decide to make this my official hobby. So I upgraded my Evader with metal gears, big pinions, 3S brushless motor and esc, bumpers and wheelie bar, and change the whole drive terrain. Now it's ready but I just have to get a 3S lipo battery and charger. My mom is against it and wants me to get another hobby because she thinks it's too expensive. Well, I don't know. I plan to stay with it.

I got my first hobby grade rc which was a traxxas bandit xl5 on July 26, 2011. Before then i had about 6 or 7 walmart rc boats which were fun but then they got old fast. At Hobbytown USA there was a Bandit, Stampede and a Rustler, all brushed and I know i didnt want a stampede because the hobbytown website said it would 30+ but the other 2 did 35+. Of course it had to go fast but i cheaped out from buying the rustler (wich was 10 bucks more) witch i have regretted because there are no REAL upgrades for it like aarms, tires and wheels, and body upgrades. Since then i have bought a helion animus 18sc and im currently saving up for a big summit. Ive thought about converting my bandit to a rustler so i can get some good upgrades. Thats my story.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

I got my Traxxas Rustler Xl-5 on my B-day (July 26 lol). Now you can look at this link, http://www.rcnightmare.com/forum/electric-rc-general-discussions/6415-traxxas-rustler-vxl-custom-body.html and see how far my rustler has come. I have a ton more upgrade now though. STRC aluminum bulkhead STRC Aluminum body mounts (blue) and a ton more. Big Bores all around. Just a boat load of upgrades.

I got my first one when i was a little seeking some sex toys for my new GF.

My first car was an evader st my dad got me as a gift when i was 14. I soon found out about a local track that ran 19t mod truck so I modded the evader for it and won B-main with it. After awhile school picked up so I put down rc for awhile until I graduated in 2010 and by that time, SCT was huge. I got a summer job before I went to college and used the extra money I earned to buy a slash 2wd. A few weeks later I took it to a new track about an hour from my house and with pretty much a out of the box setup, excluding new rear tires, I won B main and bumped up to A main and took second in it. Now I have A xxx-sct I use for sct, a b4.1 FT worlds, and a losi 8ight e 2.0 and currently have a tc4 im building for VTA and working on getting a 1/8 nitro buggy.
    I reject your reality, and blow it up with C4.

My Garage:
    Losi 8ight 2.0 E
    Losi XXX-SCT
    Associated B4.1 Worlds edition

Quote Originally Posted by andersonwal View Post
    My first car was an evader st my dad got me as a gift when i was 14. I soon found out about a local track that ran 19t mod truck so I modded the evader for it and won B-main with it. After awhile school picked up so I put down rc for awhile until I graduated in 2010 and by that time, SCT was huge. I got a summer job before I went to college and used the extra money I earned to buy a slash 2wd. A few weeks later I took it to a new track about an hour from my house and with pretty much a out of the box setup, excluding new rear tires, I won B main and bumped up to A main and took second in it. Now I have A xxx-sct I use for sct, a b4.1 FT worlds, and a losi 8ight e 2.0 and currently have a tc4 im building for VTA and working on getting a 1/8 nitro buggy.
    thats really cool! how old r u now?
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by rcman View Post
    thats really cool! how old r u now?
    20 years old and in my 3rd year in college.
    I reject your reality, and blow it up with C4.

My Garage:
    Losi 8ight 2.0 E
    Losi XXX-SCT
    Associated B4.1 Worlds edition

o ok. and u got some sweet cars there
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

Hi I started when I was young with many cheap rcs then when I was 19 started getting into it properly and just love adding upgrades to the rc cars I own and bashing then upgrading again I've had traxxas ken block (fun car) savage xs but didn't like that too much, Hpi baja 29 cc but not my thing. I now have a Hpi savage flux hp xl and love it! All hoped up tsc crawler chassis ect.. It is a beast! Now fancy something different and liking the rally seen I'm now 22. Cheers Byron

my first truck was a traxxas slash in aug. 2011 but ive been interested in rc since i can remember. i was originally gonna get a nitro off of nitrorcx because it was cheaper than the electric version and i knew nothing about the hobby. i didnt know that i had to break in the motor or charge the batterys right. but i didnt get that because i got distracted. then in jan. 2011 i got into it again and i was gonna buy a 1/16 crawler off of nitrorcx because i thought it was like a regular truck and it was only 80.and i didnt know once again anything about the hobby and once again i got distracted but my mom said that if i study the hobby hard and learn alot about it then i can get one for my bday. so thats what i did and for my bday that year i got a slash 2wd. and the first day i got it my mom ran over it with her car. :'( but since then my slash is no were near stock and i have a traxxas mini summit, mini erevo. stampede, emaxx and i got my friend into the hobby and now we(most likely me more than him) are living the hobby dream. car breakages, have a youtube channel, race at my local track, and am a pretty good racer. last time i went to the track placed 1st in the a main