Thread: Decisions!

Question Decisions!

Hey guys! My friend is planning on gettin' an RC but doesn't know what to get. I've been pushing him towards the Rustler vxl but i soon realized how awesome the Mt4 G3 is. He has no money(hes 12 yrs old) so he has to save some up. Winter is creeping up here in NY so im not sure if the rustler will make it through the snow. What do you guys think he should get as a 1st rc? I value your opinion! Thanks again

rustler vxl with out a doubt! it will totally make it through the winter but don't expect it to get traction everywhere. also advise your friend that the rear tires will probably loose their nubbs pretty quick if he drives it on the pavement. it will handle the snow just fine, he will probably have the most fun driving it on the ice cause he can drift and do 360's. so ya, get the rustler and the fact that its 100% waterproof unlike the MT4G3, he wont need to worry about the electronics frying. the MT4G3 would be a great 2nd rc cause its super durable and is pretty fast. the rustler is a good car to "get your bearings with". He should also look at the stampede 2wd vxl or the bandit vxl. And if he doesnt wanna save up the money, he could get the XL-5 versions of one of those 3 cars and have just as much fun with them.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by rcman View Post
    rustler vxl with out a doubt! it will totally make it through the winter but don't expect it to get traction everywhere. also advise your friend that the rear tires will probably loose their nubbs pretty quick if he drives it on the pavement. it will handle the snow just fine, he will probably have the most fun driving it on the ice cause he can drift and do 360's. so ya, get the rustler and the fact that its 100% waterproof unlike the MT4G3, he wont need to worry about the electronics frying. the MT4G3 would be a great 2nd rc cause its super durable and is pretty fast. the rustler is a good car to "get your bearings with". He should also look at the stampede 2wd vxl or the bandit vxl. And if he doesnt wanna save up the money, he could get the XL-5 versions of one of those 3 cars and have just as much fun with them.
    Thanks bro! Lots of help! You think he'd be able to upgrade if the got Xl-5? Also should he get skis for it? I've got him pretty informed and I made him watch videos. Thanks again bro!

no problem! Yes 100% he would be able to upgrade the xl5, the only things different between teh xl5 and vxl versions are that the vxl comes with a brushless motor and esc and a 2.4GHz remote and receiver installed on it. the xl5 versions have a brushed motor and esc and come with a 27MHz remote and receiver installed on it. I would recommend getting the vxl cause ts faster out-of-the-box and it doesn't have an eyeball poker as an antenna, it has a nice little short collapsible antenna. and both versions are waterproof. as for upgrades, i would tell you to tell your friend to check out http://rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/SandRDex.htm for some must-have upgrades, also hes gonna want some new tires in the near future so tell him to check out http://prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-2.8-all-terrain-tires-mounted-on-desperado-black-rear-wheels/ for offroad rear tires which work perfect on about every offroad terrain, even snow, the stock front tires are great for all surfaces, and for the street have him check out http://prolineracing.com/tires/street-fighter-2.8-traxxas-style-bead-street-tires-mounted-on-desperado-black-rear-wheels/
    as for skis, he wont really need them but that grip and bite a ton better than the stock front tires and they look really cool. also tell your friend that ALL ALUMINUM IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!!! because aluminum can be 2-3 times as much as plastic parts and aluminum will bend and wont bend back, and the color will scrap off and will not look as good as when you bought it. buy all rpm parts, extremely durably, will absorb impact, LIFETIME WARRANTY, inexpensive, high quality.

skis: http://www.fullforcerc.com/RS090
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

Yea the Rustler. If he takes it through the snow though there is a lot of maintenance that follows!

ya, he will want to dry it quicky so the screws dont rust. or he could just buy either the RCScrewz stainless screw kit or the Dynamite RC stainless steel screw kit. both for the rustler.

rcscrewz
    http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info.php/stainless-screw-kits-cars-trucks/traxxas-screw-kits/p/tra004-traxxas-rustler-stainless-steel-screw/cPath/1_332/products_id/550?osCsid=a22342260c64ac7e12c94fc40f5e2db3
    dynamite rc
    http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN7901
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

Dry and check the bearings. You don't want bearings to seize up.

but if he buys the xl5 rustler then it will have bushings which wont seize up. since hes a beginner i would tell him to keep the bushings and wait for bearings at a later date.
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL