Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By suburban_hooligan

Thread: Body or no body?

Wink Body or no body?

Hey Guys,
    This is my first post in the forum
    i have a mugen eco 1/8 scale buggy with a tekin setup. I soldered the wires on to my esc vertically and now the wires jut out a bit to much and this makes putting the body on a bit forceful. like it will go on however it is putting undue stress on my dodgy solder joints/esc.

i was wondering is it ok to run the car without the body altogether?

how many of you guys do this (run the car without the body)?
    I will primarily be using the car to race and do some speed runs, no bashing persee.

Thanks in Advance!

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    it's ok to run without the body. we all do it from time to time, some of us more than others. the cars function just fine without them. however, tracks will require you to run a body though. so if you'll be racing on a track in competition you will have to run the body.

you also need to remember the body does more than just give the car it's shape and make it look cool. it also protects the electronics and chassis components from debris and crash damage.
    think of not running a body like sending a warrior into battle with no shield.
    best thing to do would be to remount the ESC, or re-solder the wires so everything fits correctly. or if you just want to halfass it, clearance the body.
    rcman and motoX like this.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Welcome to the forums! I have a traxxas bandit vxl and I mounted the esc differently than the stock position therefor putting on the body is a hassle. I run without the body every time i run my car. I like it a tiny bit better cause I think that them the esc has a direct flow of cool air. I don't like it cause i am a little wiry about running with my wires all exposed cause i do tend to flip sometimes and its on pavement so it skids for a while then comes to a hault and i never want my wires to get pinched and torn up by the road. So ya, you can run without the body but since you have a buggy with a large wing, the car (if you flip) will skid on the front shock tower and the wing so your electronics will be out of harms way. But also you do need to run with a body if you race as suburban-hooligan mentioned.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

I would recommend running a body. Depending on where the wires rub you can either trim out the body to accommodate the wires o relocate your esc. That's just what I would do.

ya, but i hate the body, although i will nee to do something for when i drive in the snow. the wires dont rub, its manly the heatsink on the esc that rubs on the body. I can run with the body but i think its too much of a hassle.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

I ran my truck all the time with no body on because I had a roll cage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Feed the pede

If you use a heat gun or something soften the body just enough to mold it to accommodate the wires, cut the body, or move the esc are some ideas, that I and others have stated. ^^^^^

I would never recommend running your rc without a cage or a body. You never know if your going to roll and whats going to suffer damage. As stated already the body/cage doubles as a shield against stuff from damaging your electronic's or other stuff....

Shocks, shock towers, a-arms, hubs "CAN"(not will) suffer damage from not running with a body

This is a little off topic but, What servo are you running in your mbx6e... Im looking to buy one, im new to the buggy portion of rc and i dont know how much tork i need in a servo.
    i am the revoman

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_With_RC View Post
    If you use a heat gun or something soften the body just enough to mold it to accommodate the wires, cut the body, or move the esc are some ideas, that I and others have stated. ^^^^^

I would never recommend running your rc without a cage or a body. You never know if your going to roll and whats going to suffer damage. As stated already the body/cage doubles as a shield against stuff from damaging your electronic's or other stuff....

Shocks, shock towers, a-arms, hubs "CAN"(not will) suffer damage from not running with a body
    good ideas, but no thanks. im fine with what i have now.
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

its 100% ok to point and laugh at people that dont run bodies, aside from street steering trim adjustment