Thread: 2wd vs 4wd

2wd vs 4wd

I am new to RC vehicles and I am thinking of picking up a short course truck to use both at the local race track but also to so a bit of messing around with off-road. The off-road will not be anything too crazy - just some natural grass areas (cut relatively short) with some roots, twigs, etc, lying around and fairly uneven ground.

My question is 2wd vs 4wd How big a difference is there? Advantages/disadvantages of both? I was originally only looking at 4wd but it seems that 2wd are quite a bit cheaper and so now I am trying to understand the differences. I assume that the 4wd is easier to drive but I am interested in hearing other thoughts/opinions.

Thanks in advance.

BTW - I have been mainly looking at 4wd so far and mainly at the Associated SC-10 and Losi Ten-SCTE

well it's an easy question to answer.... 4wd sct track racing is like putting training wheels on a 2wd sct, takes less work to drive around and keep straight.

Bashing the 4wd will help pull you around your yard up and over jumps while keeping relatively good speed, where as you will notice a power drop when trying it with a 2wd. This is due to wheel spin on a 2wd is only 2 tires trying to get you to go compared to 4 tires.

All comes down to personal preference tho, I myself will stand behind my 2wd SC10. I can pull almost the same lap times if not better then most ppl in the 4wd sct class here. I also find it boring to drive the 4wd sct around any track I have tried one on, all you have to do is point them straight and most of the time they will go there.

The trucks your looking into are great race trucks but the losi in my opinion would be the better basher....not by much tho, but the belt drive on the sc10 4wd I think sucks for off-road bashing

I have never drove a 4wd, but personally love my slash 2wd. There is nothing wrong with it and I think it's really fun to run on a track. I still have a brushed motor in it, so it doesn't handle very well in grass and stuff. It'll handle better with a brushless motor, though. You could get a slash and do really good on the track. My slash was my first rc car, so I got the stock version. You should probably get a vxl for racing because you will have a bunch more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I am new to RC vehicles and I am thinking of picking up a short course truck to use both at the local race track but also to so a bit of messing around with off-road. The off-road will not be anything too crazy - just some natural grass areas (cut relatively short) with some roots, twigs, etc, lying around and fairly uneven ground.

My question is 2wd vs 4wd How big a difference is there? Advantages/disadvantages of both? I was originally only looking at 4wd but it seems that 2wd are quite a bit cheaper and so now I am trying to understand the differences. I assume that the 4wd is easier to drive but I am interested in hearing other thoughts/opinions.

Thanks in advance.

BTW - I have been mainly looking at 4wd so far and mainly at the Associated SC-10 and Losi Ten-SCTE
    Get a slash 4x4 brushless just trust me they are unbelievable!

dont get the associated because it has a low chassis and you wont be able to get over stuff that easily even though its a 4wd
    get a slash 2wd
    a slash has a really high center of gravity and you can get over stuff alot easier
    as for 4wd or 2wd
    the 4wd is more expensive but you can get over stuff easier and faster
    i like the 2wd better because it makes driving it harder and more fun than the 2wd