Thread: Good upgrades for bandit vxl?

Good upgrades for bandit vxl?

Hi
    I'm just getting into the rc world and I recently bought a new traxxas bandit vxl. I haven't got it yet but I've herd that it could probably use a few upgrades. Are the traxxas big bore shocks worth it for a bandit? I'm going to put a wheelie bar on it for sure but I was wondering if a motor fan would still fit on it with the wheelie bar on. Are the trades anaconda tires the best for on road (we're I'm going to use it most) or is there something different? One more thing to mention, my high school has a rc club and a couple of my friends race around in the halls but none of them get very good grip. Would the anaconda tires make a significant difference?
    Thanks

I'd get RPM arms & shock towers and T-Bone Racing bumpers, for starters. After having it for a while, look into doing the Rustler mod, it'll give it a wider stance and improve the handling. If you're planning on sticking with the Bandit's style of tires, you're pretty limited on tire selection.

Finally! another person with a bandit! Ok, so the bandit was my first ever hobby grade rc and I know that car in and out. Some upgrades right out of the box that you HAVE TO DO are, the RPM rear shock tower, RPM front shock tower, and the RPM wide front bumper. The bigbores are nice, but they are just as good as the ultra shocks if you aren't jumping. I would suggest buying the Ti-Ni coated shafts though cause even with the rpm bumper, they will bend with a good enough impact. A wheelie bar is a MUST if you are using a 3s LiPo, but take it off if you will be jumping because they can break fairly easy. Yes a fan would fit on it with the wheelie bar, but you would either need to cut some of the gearbox off or grind down the heatsink. They are both easy things to do. Buy the anacondas if you even think about running on the street, the stock rear tires wont last 1 week on the pavement because the little nubbs on the tires wear off really easy, but the front tires get a good amount of grip on everything. The anacondas are not the best, the proline road rages street tires are really good, but the anacondas are good for beginners. The anaconda tires would NOT make a significant difference because the halls are probably tile, and tile gets very slippery from dust (that is what I have observed from basketball). The anacondas will not make a significant difference but they will be better than stock.

Hope this helps,
    rcman
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

I'd get the T-Bone racing bumpers, I've broken a few RPM bumpers. Rich (from TBR) is awesome, he's answered all of my emails almost instantly.

Thanks for all of the replies. I just got it in the mail today and I love it. I need to get more some more batteries because I'm driving driving it so much

Thanks for all of the replies. My friend has some road tires tires for his rustler so I was going to try and put them on my bandit. We noticed that there is a bar through the axel were the tires have a hexagon. Is there a conversion thing that goes over the bar so you can use hexagon wheels. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. It's kind of confusing.

OK Best Of luck and in my case i think they are best with reply quickly.....i really like their this service......

Quote Originally Posted by Banditfan View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. My friend has some road tires tires for his rustler so I was going to try and put them on my bandit. We noticed that there is a bar through the axel were the tires have a hexagon. Is there a conversion thing that goes over the bar so you can use hexagon wheels. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. It's kind of confusing.
    Ya, those hexagon things are called "wheel hexes." you can take the hexes off your friends rustler and pop them onto the bandits axle, it might not work because the bandits aarms are shorter than the rustlers, by a half an inch or so, and so the tire will probably rum against the shock spring.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler