Thread: My Rustler VXl sounds odd!

Question Rustler VXL pinion gear help!

I have a Rustler VXl and it sounds really odd it's like a wheezing sound but when i tried to open the transmission i also tried to remove the pinion gear but i noticed the pinion gear screw was broken since any of my hex keys can't get any grip in the screw so it's pretty stuck in there :C, what shall i do to get it out? i mean i can't send it to Traxxas because i'm living in Sweden and it would take too long time. And what can the sound come from?

Please help!
    Last edited by ozzi191; 11-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Did you tighten the slipper clutch first? That would have been my guess as to what that sound is.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I tighten is as much as the manual said but i'm gonna try it again tomorrow when i'm charging up the Li-PO, but thanks for the tip i will keep that in mind in the future.

Yea i did tighten it as much as the manual said but i made some changes and i will try it tomorrow. But thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind in the future

are you using the allen wrenches because those are soft and dull out easy and the srcew dosent if you are using them or do you have any real tools like duratrax thorp dynamite. and if the screw is broken you will have to drill it out using a small drill bit be carful when attemping this.

I think Traxxas sent me wrong Hex key because mine was 1.5 mm and i need a 1.6mm which i got from my neighbor so i think all my Rustler problems are solved

Thanks anyway

If you ate sure the set screw is trashed, get online ave order a drill out drill bit. This will make your life beyond easy when trying to get busted set screws out.

Also, what kind of noise is it making? High pitched? Low pitched? On throttle? Coasting? Ticking sound? Give us some details to help you diagnose the issue.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

i depends on how much i tightened the spur gear if i'm tightened it fully (fully compressed) it makes no sound but the manual tells me not to fully compress the spur gear. When i'm just unscrewing it a little i makes a medium pitched sound somewhere between high and low.