Thread: Help with an old Traxxas Rustler

Help with an old Traxxas Rustler

Okay, so I have one of the old Traxxas Rustler's that a friend gave to me a couple years back. Its been sitting in the garage for a while now, I haven't used it much at all. I'm really new at RC cars and I need to know what needs to be done to fix it up. The motor sounds very choppy and I don't know if its performing to its fullest (I doubt it is). I need help on deciding what new engine I need to buy, and if i need to replace my 1500 mAh and 2000 mAh 7.2v NiCd batteries.

Here is everything I have:

Old Traxxas Rustler
    Old version of the Traxxas Stinger 20-turn brushed motor
    1500 and 2000 mAh 7.2v NiCd batteries
    And all the old parts (probably original parts) in the Rustler
    Hobbico 905 AC/DC Multi-Charger

So my question is: what motor should I get to replace it, or should i replace it at all? If I get a new motor, should I get new batteries? If I do get new batteries, will my Hobbico 905 AC/DC Multi-Charger be able to charge them? In the manual I found online it only lists charge times for 1700 mAh batteries and under, so I have no idea if it can charge more powerful batteries. So will I need a new charger too?

Any help will be appreciated, I've done lots of research on all this but still would love some professional input on what I should do. I don't have a bunch of extra money either so try and keep it cheap.

Thanks a bunch,
    Baynes

Actually I've thought of something, does anyone know if I'd be able to just get a lot of the parts from my the new traxxas rustler and put them in my current car?

It sounds like you need to do a lot of up-to-dating on your rustler. I would recommend just buying a new rustler but if u dont wanna, then dont. If you want a brushless motor which is very fast and WAY better than the stock traxxas brushed motors. Buy the Traxxas Velineon 3500 brushless combo, verrrrrrrrrry fast and easy to program. As for batteries buy a stock traxxas 3300mAh 7cell NiMh, they are long lasting and wont take a dump on you. A great charger for NiMh batterys is the Dynamite Profit Sport ll AC/DC Peak Charger, Ive had one for just over 1 year and its still working perfect. And is you can put new rustler parts on an old rustler, yes you can cause the rustler hasnt really changed over the years except for the body. But if you get new rustler parts, get the RPM ones cause they're 10 times stronger than the stock traxxas ones. And o ya, try and find a good 2.4GHz remote and receiver. (The velineon is a little pricy but its 100% worth it, trust me)

Velineon system:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1466_1331/products_id/146995/n/Traxxas-VXL-3S-Velineon-Brushless-Power-System-Combo-Waterproof
    Battery:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1389_1392_1859/products_id/215888/n/Traxxas-Series-5-7-Cell-Stick-Pack-w-Traxxas-Connector-84V-5000mAh
    Charger:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1574_116/products_id/186526/n/Dynamite-Prophet-Sport-II-AC-DC-Peak-Charger
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

Well I looked up the parts for the new rustlers and I could get a lot of them new for really cheap online, and the same battery you suggested, except its a hump pack (I'm pretty sure the extra cell on the end will be too big to fit in the car). I think that there are people out there that will buy a new car and get rid of the stock parts without using them and upgrade, so places like ebay have a lot of good deals on parts

ya you can get parts from ebay for nothin. The hump pack will fit but the flat pack wont.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

get the traxxas titan 12t brushed motor for the cheapest way or get the traxxas velenion system
    for the batterys your going to want to upgrade eventually because if they are old then they will die soon
    same with the charger if you look around a little bit you can find chargers for pretty cheap

if you even want to know you are a f****** stalker
    i agree with rcrexing the titan 12t is a good brushed motor, but just go brushless it will be worth it