Thread: Overwhelming hobby to begin.

Overwhelming hobby to begin.

Hi all! My name is Tony Grigsby. Ive spent most of my time since 1996 in the astromart community. Classifieds and forums for telescopes and astronomy. Ive been researching RC trucks for two weeks now, and its just like telescopes. You can spend $200 to a few grand. Im hoping one thing is different. That is to get a decent telescope you get what you pay for. I always tell everyone if youre not ready to at least spend at least $600 be very very careful and dont get youre hopes up too high. Cheap scopes usually translates to junk, or just a tease to something better, not bigger.
    So money, and migrains, and family pretty much ended my astronomy hobby. A divorce 10 years ago took my good stuff, and since Ive rolled in telescopes in the $500 range and am just not happy. SO! For 3 years Ive looked into many hobbies. I just stumbled onto my first crawler video a couple of weeks ago. OMG! I told my girlfried that these trucks are everything I wanted growing up because the best RC I ever had only went forward or turned in only one direction and if you were lucky a reverse. All had a cord I believe. I did have a traxxas gas power RC in the early 90s,and it was awesome, but too fast, and too loud, and fuel was available only miles away from my home. Anyways Im sold!! Im getting one with taxes. And I need help! Im pretty sure Ive narrowed down my search to 3 trucks I want, and can afford. The SCX10 rubicon if I can find one, or a honcho. Or a wraith. I figure Im looking at around $650 to $700 including 2 sets of batteries and a jeep wrangler body and some paint. Ill tell you guys what Im looking for and you guys let me know if Im on the right track or not. Im sure theres trucks I have not yet seen.

Interested in customizing my own bodies, building courses, crawling, and filming.
    Want to keep my truck fairly clean, but would like to get in some water and mud nothing too crazy.
    Want my own body style. I work 2nd shift and need something to do at nights as well. Plus I just need a personalized vehicle. Not sure what fits what.. assuming 1/10 scale fits all 1/10 scale??
    I want to spend around $650 to get started. That a good beginning range?? For that cost should I be looking into a kit or RTR? I realise Kits may be better, but also seems to be more expensive. Aut like I said there are still many trucks Im not aware of yet.
    Im not sure if anything Im looking at is available local, so Ive been researching on RCplanet. Any recommendation on a supplier?
    So what do you guys think? Sound like Im on the right track so far??
    Taxes may allow me to spend a little more, but Im happy in the $650 range. I still have around a month to research, but am definitely jumping into the hobby!
    Look forward to hearing from you guys, and also look forward to sharing with you what I get and a vid for first test run.
    Tony Grigsby.

The Wraith ans SCX10 are both great rigs. If it was me, I'd get the Wraith only because I like the speed over the SCX10. If you're looking for something you can really "scale" out, the SCX10 would probably be better for you. If you want something that can crawl/bash with a hint of scale, the Wraith is the way to go. Either way, they are both great rigs and you'll be happy. Proline also make a Wrangler body for the Wraith and the SCX10, along with a line of scale accessories.
    Wraith

SCX10

Love that wrangler! And YES! YES! the wraith is on my list for the added speed even though I dont plan to bash, or "trash". I was born in 73, so that old school stomper looking bronco body for the wraith is really appealing to me also. Thanks for responding!
    T.

Welcome to this addicting hobby Tony. I bought a telescope early last year. A Orion Starblast 6. I think that's the correct number. The universe intrigued me, but I live in a city and the skies are blue at night due to all the lights. Lost interest after a couple of months. My wife even bought me a star. I've yet tried to look for it. I bet you had some really nice equipment! I got into this hobby in April of last year and haven't looked back. I have a 2wheel and 4 wheel drive traxxas stampede. I also have a custom 2wheel drive stampede built with alloy parts from REM. I have finally found a hobby that I will stick with. All of my rcs have $1000 of upgrades on them. I jump, race and do speed runs with all of them. I am mostly a basher but do compete in the parking lot races at hobby town. I've yet to get into the crawlers. The rcs you are looking at should bring you a lot of fun. Welcome to the addiction!

Sent from Oser world

I moved into a small city as well and remember how disappointed I was to see the sky vanish. Hard to admit, but I guess I really have lost interest as well due to circumstances. But the RC trucks seem to be an excellent hobby. So much to do, with so many options. And for me the quietness, and the waterproofing of the electrics are Perfection. I work 2nd shift and move quite a bit at night. Plus when Im lazy I believe painting bodys will be far better than flipping through channels of endless garbage when the Pawn shows or pickers arent on. My girlfriends a facebook addict so shes occupied.. Anyways, I cant wait. I think its cool some people Mud, some crawl, Bash, Race.
    T.

You like the same TV shows I do. Having three RCS, there is always something to do. Upgrades, cleaning and tweaking for performance e and handling. I always wanted to restore a scale classic but money and space just weren't there. I love to piddle and this is a perfect hobby for that. I was born in 1970 and I work in the gulf of mexico (oilfield). I am a electronic technician/parts changer. I have a degree in electronics so when I found out about brush less motors and lipo batteries I knew that would be the route I wanted to take. I had a nitro rustler in the 90s. They sound really cool but are too much trouble. I love to see my quiet electric RC take off and blast down the street. I am curious as to how much money I will get back from taxes. I would like to get a street car for the parking lot races. Good luck making your decision and hope to be seeing you around this forum some more.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

if you even want to know you are a f****** stalker
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    You like the same TV shows I do. Having three RCS, there is always something to do. Upgrades, cleaning and tweaking for performance e and handling. I always wanted to restore a scale classic but money and space just weren't there. I love to piddle and this is a perfect hobby for that. I was born in 1970 and I work in the gulf of mexico (oilfield). I am a electronic technician/parts changer. I have a degree in electronics so when I found out about brush less motors and lipo batteries I knew that would be the route I wanted to take. I had a nitro rustler in the 90s. They sound really cool but are too much trouble. I love to see my quiet electric RC take off and blast down the street. I am curious as to how much money I will get back from taxes. I would like to get a street car for the parking lot races. Good luck making your decision and hope to be seeing you around this forum some more.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    if you want a traxxas off road racer and a good run for your money get a slash and give it a brushless motor and best of all EXPERIMENT with it you will love the world of sct's
    How many r/c's do i have?
    1 Stampede Monster Mutt edition
    Empty spaces = none YET!