Thread: Newbe

Newbe

I am new at this. My grandson is seven years old and loves R.C. cars, trucks, planes, boats. Cars & trucks are his favorite. I feel he is very good at controlling. them. But they are always cheap toys from ToysRus type cars. I am thinking about getting him a good one for Christmas but don't know what I am doing. Can some one help me with this?

totaly get the traxxas 1/10 rustler xl5. take it from someone who had that car as their first ever rc car. I absolutely loved it. super duper durable, pretty fast, waterproof so he doesn't need to be uptight about avoiding water. If he does break a part, replacements are very inexpensive and same goes for upgrades when that time comes. It wont break the bank, it is under 200 dollars. here is a link.
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/3705rustler
    i know that is says 224 dollars but they always mark it above what it really costs. if you have a local hobby shop (lhs)near your house, they should have the rustler xl5 in stock and cheaper than on the traxxas website. if you have a HobbyTown USA as your lhs, they should have it for about 150-160 dollars. hope I influenced your decision on what to get!

~rcman
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

Sounds good to me. Lets see what others think. Water proof? Does that mean that he can be a typical seven year old and run it through 2 inch puddles after it rains? Also what accessories do I need to get?

I went looking at their web site and found The Traxxas Stampede XL-5 know anything about this?

get a traxxas
    they are way better than the toys r us ones or the nikko and you can actually get parts for them

yes, same everything except for body, tires and chassis. as for accessories, i would highly recommend the Dynamite Prophet ll peak chaarger. i bought this charger when i bought my rustler, excellent charger, WAY, WAY, WAY faster than the stock 8 hour charger that is included. How ever, you will need to also purchase a Tamiya/Molex male to traxxas female adapter, but those are cheap, and the charger and adapter should be in stock at your lhs. heres the link to the charger:
    http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4077
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

Maybe a Helion Animus or Losi micro. Pain to work on but good for him.