Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tlr 22

Really? why gear over ball? Ball diffs are adjustable on the fly, mind you, not a durable as I soon found out strapping a brushless on

As for servo saver, or lack there of, I spent the $80 on a titanium gear servo, indestructible. Seeing as the 22 was more or less aimed at the serious racer, most would have the $80 servo, but if you're really worried about it, Im sure there's going to be a hop up that will add one sometime in the future
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Yes gear diff imo opinion are better. Gear diffs are smoother, last longer and get exact tunning everytime. Not no loosin adjust or tighten adjust etc. With gear diffs they stay smooth and get 100% exact to what you want because the oils instead of twisting and loosining etc and changing ball type and etc etc.
    Mugen MBX6
    TLR 22
    Mugen MBX6 ECO

Thanks to my sponsors: |RcRenew.com | VP-PRO Racing | Kal-Gard | FTH | Assassin Graphics |

Meh, we just don't enjoy the 1/10 scale buggies of any type, seems well built and everything but meh....

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
    Yes gear diff imo opinion are better. Gear diffs are smoother, last longer and get exact tunning everytime. Not no loosin adjust or tighten adjust etc. With gear diffs they stay smooth and get 100% exact to what you want because the oils instead of twisting and loosining etc and changing ball type and etc etc.
    and what if you're wrong?
    no, gear diff's are not smoother. ill argue that one to the grave. a ball diff is really nothing but a bearing. how do you get any smoother than a bearing?

exact tuning? hit and miss. ball diff's don't loosen up. what happens is parts wear in and you have to occasionally adjust them. and they do get dirty and require cleaning/rebuilding. but iv never had one just come loose on me for no reason. oil filled gear diff's even have problems. the oil wears out, gets dirty, leaks. you have to take the gear box apart to tune them.

gear diff's stay smooth? they aren't smooth to begin with, how can they stay smooth? gear diff's are sloppy chatter boxes that are prone to inconsistent loading/unloading and in a few cases even binding.

durability. iv broken 2 gear diffs in my day. iv only ever had 1 ball diff wear out and come apart on me. and that took 7 years of hard use and nowhere nearly enough maintenance for that to happen (it was my fault, not the diff's). as far as load handing capabilities, that's in the hands of the owner/driver/builder. a properly built and adjusted ball diff in a truck with a properly adjusted slipper clutch is no more likely to break than a gear diff under the same conditions.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Yes your right on alot of occasions but i find gear diffs better in my opinion. Do i run one? No, will i get one? Yes. I find gear diffs better in cornering but not as good as ball diffs in breaking. I like gear diffs alot and never had a issue. Not thinking a ball dif is bad in any means i just like gears because im use to them and find cases that they help. Neither is best its all opinions. I come from 1/8 and still race 1/8 and i understand a gear diff alot more then ball diffs. Yes i know how to maintain and tune a ball diff but i like what im more use to. I dont think gear diffs are sloppy chatter boxes. A gear diff if properly shimmed and built is just a quiet as any other diff. Also falls in catagory of binding, if its built right it won't bind up. Yes a gear diff tightens on power and breaks loose off and i like that. So in consideration i think you may have done somthing incorrect with gear diffs. Not saying you did but i have never had any results in breaking or a binding diff.
    Mugen MBX6
    TLR 22
    Mugen MBX6 ECO

Thanks to my sponsors: |RcRenew.com | VP-PRO Racing | Kal-Gard | FTH | Assassin Graphics |

built them as per the instructions and then tried all the racer techniques to tune them if possible. in the on road cars it was the same problem every time. they were sloppy. you can drive the car and hear it chatter away. you go into a turn and let off the gas the wheels want to stop spinning. you can actually watch the front tires lock up, break loose, lock up, break loose, lock up. break loose. occasionally seeing the inside tire spin backwards. then when you get back on the power it essentially locks up and the car develops a major push. and then every now and then it would break loose and you'd do a really annoying one wheel burn out. 2 of my on road cars have gear diff's in the front. iv had both cars over 10 years. i have not been able to solve that problem yet. in a 2wd off road car it's not as noticeable. minus my friends old rustler, which sounded like it was full of gravel, and would for no reason lock up. the first time it happened i had to take it apart to free it up. ...i hated that truck... and everybody i know who has run an oil filled gear diff has had the problem, they leak and when they get low on fluid they break loose
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Well i ran my 22 for the first time in race conditions today. Both heats i was tunning diff and slipper trying to find a good set up for the main since i showed up late and had no time to practice. In the main the 22 was absoloutly DIALED! Finished 3rd my first time out with it and first time out on 2wd buggy. Im real proud of this finish considering 2nd place is a good friend of mine and we constantly battle and he has many more years ecperience. First is a real quick x-pro intermediate kid who found time to race again. In the heats i finished 4th because my buddy Zachary Rodgers was running and hes stupid fast. Im glad i can run with the guys who have been doing this much longer as im pretty new to 1/10 2wd. Now i did have a issue with the rear cv pin to holding the dog bone to cv for hub. The pin found its way to loosen out and rub my hub until it snapped. Luckily it snapped right as i finished and didn't hurt me. But now i have to hunt a pin down to race tomorrow indoors. I rate the 22 overall as one of the strongest 2wd buggies out. I hit a guy full lit in a streight because he couldn't clear the cross over jump and it didnt hurt my car at all and his was a 22 and also drove away like nothing happend. This buggy is going no where and honestly is one of the most fun classes i have ever ran. I always wondered how those guys like these lil cars so much but now i understand these things are defanitly worth looking into.
    Mugen MBX6
    TLR 22
    Mugen MBX6 ECO

props on the podium finish

Traxxas ball diffs in their RTRs are insanely smooth. My little sisters Mini desert trucks's gear diff is smoother then my B4s :l

Anyway, I defiantly like the 22s ball diff, the 14 ball instead of the 12 makes a huge difference. I have some serous problems with ball diffs acting more of a Slipper clutch then a diff. Both in my 18T and B4. So either I tighten them way up or loosen my slipper.

Like Ive said before. A-Team Koysho and any other buggy makers had better do something soon before the 22 takes over!
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Kyosho isn't doing anything right now from what i heard but ae word is spreading of a new kit coming soon after worlds. IDK exactly how much truth is there but thats the word. Kyoshso normally dont follow the market. Losi does losi followed 1/8 while it was so popular then seen 2wd getting popular and figuerd the 2.0 is dialed lets get a dialed 2wd out. Now that they accomplished that there focused on it and i think losi is doing a great job managing there team and vehicles. So is kyosho and ae. All comapnies want to win and if it takes a new kit they will but the xxx was dated copaired to rb5 sp2 and b4.1.
    Mugen MBX6
    TLR 22
    Mugen MBX6 ECO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast