Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the 20+ year dream (clodbuster build)

Senior Member suburban_hooligan's Avatar

the 20+ year dream (clodbuster build)

after wanting one for 20+ years and tower having it on sale. and me having a $31 dollar off coupon. i finally broke down and bought me a clodbuster.
    this will be a long term running build. i will update as i hop up and modify. the plan is to keep it kind of an old school traditional car crushing monster truck. i will try to follow along start to finish.

clod tire next to a 2.2 truck tire

and this is as far as i got after work today.
    Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 03-27-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

this should be good. i like the idea of not modernizing it and kicking it old school. I really think this will turn out good! good luck building
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler

here's today's progress.
    i got the gear boxes/axles put together.

i also forgot to mention yesterday that i am building it with a full set of bearings. figured id save some time and hassle and just build it with bearings.
    respect your elders. we've been around longer and done more stupid things than you, therefore we're smarter

Woo hoop! Super excited. I was about to give up on this forum lol ......until this "Clod Buster Build" . You da man dude. Old school. I like it. I like it a lot! I agree with going with bearings from jump. Looking good thus far. It got even better when you posted pics without using photobucket lol.

actually im still posting pics via photobucket. i seem to have weird stuff happening when post via photobucket. i think i have it figured out now. well see...

anyway, it's starting to look like something. it was hard to stop the progress today. but the dog demanded a walk and i have work tomorrow so...

i also reached the conclusion at work today that at some point soon i want to make the headlights and roll bar lights work. i also remembered the under body lights rcman put on his scx10 and im thinking i might do something like that to.

I hopefully wont ever give up on this forum, its what helped my rc addiction. Like Don said, how did you post your pics without the extra links showing and u also got the "click to see full image" bar? I didn't realize that the Clod came with blue parts. I really like that blue and I think it looks good! Good idea with wanting to use ground effects . This truck has 4 wheel steer right? Cant wait to see it finished!!!!!!
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

crap ill be checking and posting as long as there is a forum. maybe not every day, but probably once, twice a week.
    and how i get photobucket links to work is to copy the IMG code then paste it in the reply box. it shows up as 2 lines. line 1 stars with [URL= blah blah blah. line 2 starts with [IMG] and has a [/URL] at the en of it. i delete line 1 and the [/URL] at the end of line 2. and everything seems to work fine.

all the shocks, the front and rear bumpers/steering linkage guards (whatever you want to call them) all the steering linage eyelets and whatever those things are underneath it are blue. everything else on the chassis is black.

anyway. it's a driver. finished the build (minus the body) today. i stuck a cirrus cs80mg servo in it. iv had that servo laying around for over a decade. it'll work until i can get something better. i also need to pick up a receiver for my 3PL so i stuck an old AM radio in it. it's good to have spare parts laying around.

and here's the first car crush. running it here on a 2s lipo. i was surprised as how fast it was.

Good job...tough looking truck. Really like the tires and the fact that it's four wheel steer is just awesome.

wow... watching that video makes that truck look like the classic definition of a car-crushing monster truck. I don't know if you meant for it to bounce like that, but it looks really real that way. I agree Don, 4 wheel steer is super cool. Is everything plastic, or is some metal?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL

i didn't mean for it to bounce like that, it just does it. it's got 8 friction shocks. and not a lot of travel. and there's no foam inserts in the tires so the tires act like springs and add some bounce (just like the real trucks used to). and yeah, the chassis and everything is plastic.

im gearing up right now to primer the body. (it's a hard plastic body like a model car).
    unfortunately i put the TC away and don't feel like digging it back out so i have nothing to crush today. iv got a friend that races oval and is into ISC and goes through bodies like crazy. im going to hit him up, see if i can get his old oval bodies, take a heat gun to them and make some crush cars. when i start making that ill put it in this thread (it could be a while).
    im also on radioshack's website eyeing LED's. i also need to see about tracking down an early 80's lexan toyota truck body. i saw one on a trail truck a while back and liked it. if i can find it and it fits it might just become my basher body.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast