Thread: Best starter crawler?

Best starter crawler?

Hey guys, I was wondering what the best rock crawler/scaler. I was looking at these brands Tamiya, Losi, and Axial. Which is the best of crawlers in all these brands and of the three you guys pick which is the best overall?

Tamiya really doesn't have much for "Crawlers" more of the scale trucks i think - any one of these kits are awesome I own the CC-01
    Losi has some good crawlers - I have heard the "night crawler" is a good one
    Axial in my opinion right now is the leader of Crawling/scaling with the ax10 for crawling and the scx10 for scaling

I myself would choose the scx10(which I own) for the reason it's a great truck for almost everything, My truck has about 4 inch articulation in the front and rear, weights around 9lbs, you can put it on 2.2" or leave 1.9" rims with no mods, lots of body options and tons of aftermarket support, you could put up to 4 motors and 2 transmissions in it(RCSparks did it look up "Project Overkill" on you-tube) it's just endless what you can do to separate yourself from someone else

Yeah, I have watched project OVERKiLL and i was like oh my gosh i want 1! My LHS said they have a SCX10 Dingo Builders Kit, so should I get it?

The kit is the way to go....I have the Honcho kit version....the rtr dingo is almost as good as buying the kit, but it will need to be upgraded in order to get the full use of the dingo. The links on the rtr versions are a cheap plastic that link to bend ALOT, so if steering up against rocks the steering will go pigeon toed and you won't go anywhere.

I love my SCX10 and my CC-01, next to get is the new Ridgecrest from axial

Most of these are scale crawlers. If you want a 2.2 I'd say the classic Axial Scorpion, The Losi night Crawler has some pretty good features like worm gear drive.
    Collection:
    B4 Mamba. 'Nuf said.
    RC18T (added wing)
    GC-3 gatekeeper Losi Mini-Crawler
    Micro-t
    Micro-SCT
    Original Mini LST (Exo-Tek LXT Single Servo Converson, Traxxas servo)
    Soon to be Quadcopter.

Redcat Rockslide Supercrawler

For a starter, Redcat does a pretty good job. The first crawler I owned was a Redcat Rockslide Supercrawler. Its huge! Its a 1/8 scale so you do need to find bigger rocks than usuall but it is super easy to crawl with. Its very user friendly. Plus, there is a lot that Redcat has to offer for upgrades. The bad part is the its not competition ready. But if you really wanted to modify it so that it is, its not impossible. Ive seen it done.

Review video done by Squirrel:

i,ve got a axial ax 10 ridgecrest,its pretty capable crawler,but has some speed to it also.