Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can I use regular spray paint?

brokemyrc

can I use regular spray paint?

My pops has loads of cans of different types of spray paint laying around? Does it really matter if I use this stuff instead of the expensive stuff at the LHS?

Allan
    hmm... this is going on my list of things to try!

the wisdom of the internet suggests that it's probably not the best option since it is not formulated specifically for polycarbonate. The paint could crack/chip from impacts, etc... My thinking, if it's going on my truck its going to get bashed up and replaced before too long anyway so will the paint imperfections really bother me?? ...probably not.

I agree with Allan.

carcrasher3000
    Also though there is a Real Problem with using Regular Spray Paint on the Lexan Bodies Certain types such as Fusion will melt the Lexan and then your out of a Body and then others will act like Water and Oil and never Dry cause paint to become a Mess your best bet is to use the interwebs and find some decent but cheap stuff I use Pactra Paints for all my Bodies and it sells on towerhobbies.com for 6.99 so def not too bad and if your looking to do easy masking just grab one from xxxmain.com it makes people think Im a Pro when really I Not

Rockit RC
    Short answer, No you cannot! The paint will flake off. it does not adhere to the polycarbonate bodies. It takes a paint specific for the lexan bodies. Ask me how I know? Yup! found out the hard way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit RC View Post
    Short answer, No you cannot! The paint will flake off. it does not adhere to the polycarbonate bodies. It takes a paint specific for the lexan bodies. Ask me how I know? Yup! found out the hard way!
    Great answer on this, couldn't put it better myself

You could also just get a body wrap which is like a big sticker.

you can. it just wont stick as well. i used some flat black primer on my bodies and it holds up pretty good. if youre gonna bash it dont matter. the imperfections add to the look

Bigmooi
    I would say yes if you prep the body correctly however it will start to chip if you bash but at that point does it really matter and if you did enough I would say you could use it for show if you never ran with it on it should not chip. But do watch for chemical reactions safe is better then sorry.

crazybearrc
    No, the paint will chip off.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast