Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: stock shock blowing apart

stock shock blowing apart

Ok so the last two times I went out I have blown the shocks apart, when the come apart I loose all the oil and the rubber seal. Why is this happening and what should I do?

how do fill with oil?
    with shaft at full compression or full extension
    if you fill at full extension then there will be to much pressure when the shock is compressed
    try filling with the shaft in the middle

xChrisx
    your shocks sound like you have set them to hard or to high.

Are you using the top spring holder on your shock? if so try lowering the truck a bit, lighten the oil, don't use to many pre-loaders(spacers). It sounds like you need to replace the shock caps, after the 1st time I would have blown off the cap I would have replaced them, you need to check the threads and see if from them blowing out alot, are the threads gone or worn down to much. Is there a bump stop on your shocks? if not put them on! but be sure that every RC is supposed to bottom out when landing from jumps, the RC shocks are just to damper the hit. Don't ever let the shocks be the only thing soaking up the hit's from jumping, you will BREAK THEM

xChrisx
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    how do fill with oil?
    if you fill at full extension then there will be to much pressure when the shock is compressed
    I agree, also when filling your shocks remember to get as much air out as possible. I fill mine with the shaft down but only half full then I start to compress and release until all the bubbles are gone. Be sure to not go above the oil as this will cause it to suck in air and make more bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    how do fill with oil?
    yes they were fully extended, i didnt know it mattered

i got all the bubbles out but filled them with the shock fully extended, i thought i was helping myself out by changing out the old oil but i've lost3 seals guess i better watch some youtube vidios

5g5r5a5n5t5
    You probably blew the threads the first time. You might just need new caps now

you know i have a set of alluminum shock i bought off ebay that keep blowing the seals, the little rubber cap seems to pop inside like it sucks it in, ive set up the shock so many different times and so many ways with 3 different types of oil, no luck. i should just clean them up and repost them on ebay.

I refilled them with lighter oil last night , i also pushed the shaft up about 3/4 of the way before screwing on the caps, hopefuly that will do the trick. the threads looked good.I rebiult 2 of them, one had a bent shaft the other one just was too sqishy. well i will try them out saturday at the local bmx dirt track. halla at you later!

xChrisx
    good luck vxlHammbone..... just make sure when it's all buttoned up that the chassis does bottom out, you do not want the shocks to take all the force of the landing, or they will pop again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast