Thread: Summit drive shafts

Summit drive shafts

So I have had My 1/16 summit for a little over a month and I have blown out 7 outer drive shafts (one end or the other) part number 7250/7251. It's always a pin on the joint that breaks The guys at the. Hobby shop have no idea why this would be happening My last one broke on dry concrete with no jumps or bashing I have upgraded the steering servo but I replaced three shafts before I replaced the servo so i'm not sure that's the case. I have had the hobby shop look and I have also looked for the upgrade for this part but with no luck. As well at 60 bucks for the upgraded shafts I would hate to break a pin on the ball wit those too. This is my first car I just started the hobby and I have seen videos that a way more intense than what i put her through. Any ideas as to where to start looking would be great. Thank you for reading my long winded story

I only have a 1/10 Summit, but this should apply to most any halfshaft. Do you have the shock pre-load set so that your Summit rides at or near to the top of it's suspension travel?? This can cause wear/break issues at the universal joints on the halfshafts on the 1/10 Summits.

Hope this helps
    The Kid

1/10th Summit w/14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

Sounds like your slipper is too tight.

slipper is too tight, or the shocks are preloaded to much. if the ride height is too high, that will cause the driveshafts to need to turn at a weird angle causeing them to snap and break. try and look for some aluminum ones.
    If nobody comes back from the future to stop you, how bad of a decision can it be?
    -Traxxas Rustler VXL
    -Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler
    -Helion Animus brushless

So I have changes to the steel drive shafts and rpm a-arms an everything I working great. If anyone else is having problems like I did they are the solution. Part number 7151x. They say there for the revo but they still fit ( with a little work)

Glad you have your problem sorted out
    The Kid

1/10th Summit w/14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

did you follow any of the suggestions above? if not all you did was put a band-aid on the problem and this may create more problems in the future. If something was causing them to break then now that you upgraded to stronger parts the next weakest link is going to break..